- Building the Dome of the Capitol, 1880
- Capitol Under Construction, 1880
- Repairing Gold Dome During Capitol Restoration, 1999
- State Senate Chamber, ca. 1919
- African-American Legal Associations
- Governor Faces Tough Decisions About Discrimination
- Iowa Government is Formed
- Iowa Assembly Meets
- Iowa Constitution and Race
- Iowa Constitution and Banks
- Iowa as a Global Leader
- Legislative History
You will need a program capable of playing Microsoft Silverlight files to view this video.
Download Microsoft Silverlight for free at www.microsoft.com.
Governor Faces Tough Decisions About Discrimination
This video player uses Microsoft Silverlight.
I found myself as governor lots of times opposing people in the political structure that helped put me in power. You know—who were wanted more rigid force used here and there and we were—you have to keep a balance of force and it’s not easy. I remember one time I angrily made the statement, ‘I don’t give a damn what color people are, even if they’re poke-a-dot, we are going to have equal application of the law and equal rights of the Constitution in Iowa; no matter what happens.’ Whether I’m ever elected again into any office or not isn’t the question. The question is how do we keep sanity and do this right and proper? I don’t know course and time brought me into American history to be at that point where I was at, but I am glad I was there.
Iowa Pathways: Iowa History Resources for Students and Teachers
Home ~ My Path ~ Artifacts ~ Timeline ~ Quest ~ Teacher Resources ~ Project Information ~ SponsorsIowa Pathways © 2005 - 2015 Iowa Public Television