- Removing Snow From Tracks, Forest City, 1936
- Modern Railroad Transportation, 2004
- Train on Trestle, Preston
- Passenger Train
- Early Train Engine
- Electric Locomotive, ca. 1950
- Train Crossing Bridge, 2004
- Modern Diesel Train, 2004
- Loading Grain Onto Train, 2004
- Steam Train Crossing Bridge 2004
- Steam Train
- Railroad Tracks Across Iowa
You will need a program capable of playing Microsoft Silverlight files to view this video.
Download Microsoft Silverlight for free at www.microsoft.com.
Railroad Tracks Across Iowa
This video player uses Microsoft Silverlight.
In 1856 the United States Congress gave the railroads almost 4 million acres of Iowa land, about 1/9th of the states area. The race was on. It was felt the first line to hook up with the Union Pacific in Council Bluffs would capture a large share of the national freight and passenger service. The first line to reach Council Bluffs was the North Western road in 1867. Two years later the Rock Island line reached the Missouri River; shortly after the Burlington came in third; finally the Illinois Central.
Iowa Pathways: Iowa History Resources for Students and Teachers
Home ~ My Path ~ Artifacts ~ Timeline ~ Quest ~ Teacher Resources ~ Project Information ~ SponsorsIowa Pathways © 2005 - 2014 Iowa Public Television