You can turn anytime into learning time for a child, even those few minutes when you are on the go or waiting for an appointment. That’s the idea behind IPTV’s Ready for School Learning Centers, which are often located in the waiting area of a health facility.
Learning Centers consist of a book cart or shelf of age-appropriate children's materials such as books, activity books, toys, puzzles and more. They can include a television which allows children and parents the opportunity to experience high quality children's programming aired by Iowa Public Television. IPTV Ready for School Learning Centers provide resources which encourage families to spend time together reading books, watching quality children's programs, and learning about additional ways to have fun together while waiting for their appointment.
Ready for School Learning Centers are part of IPTV's Ready for School Initiative. This initiative uses a comprehensive approach to community engagement in 25 new communities in Iowa per year to surround children, parents, care providers, and educators with literacy-based content, online games, instructional materials, and educational activities to help children increase their school readiness and success. Through this initiative, Iowa Public Television will partner with communities to add an additional 50 learning centers each year.
This work builds from a proven track record of success in the pilot testing of these methods and resources in several Iowa communities that Iowa Public Television has led since 2008 and is now scaling statewide through Ready for School.
IPTV Learning Center Locations:
- Carroll - St. Anthony Family Care Physicians
- Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Pediatrics
- Cedar Rapids - Linn Community Care
- Centerville - River Hills Community Health Center, Inc. (Appanoose County Clinic)
- Clarksville - Peoples Clinic Butler County
- Davenport - Community Health Care, Inc.
- Davenport - Genesis Family Medical Center
- Des Moines - Iowa Lutheran Family Medicine Residency Program
- Des Moines - Mercy Central Pediatric Clinic
- Des Moines - Primary Health Care, Inc. (Bery Engebretsen Clinic)
- Des Moines - Primary Health Care, Inc. (East Side Center)
- Dubuque - Crescent Community Health Center
- Fort Dodge - Community Health Center of Fort Dodge
- Hampton - Franklin Medical Center
- Iowa City - University of Iowa Children's Hospital-General Pediatrics
- Keosauqua - Van Buren County Hospital
- Knoxville - Knoxville Hospital & Clinics
- Leon – Community Health Centers of Southern Iowa
- Logan - Alegent Health Clinic
- Marshalltown - Primary Health Care, Inc. (Marshalltown Clinic)
- Marshalltown - Reach Out and Read Marshall County (McFarland Pediatrics Clinic)
- Mason City - Mercy Pediatric and Adolescent Clinic
- Muscatine - UI Healthcare
- Osceola - Iowa Health Physicians
- Ottumwa - River Hills Community Health Center, Inc. (main clinic)
- Ottumwa - River Hills Community Health Center, Inc. (pediatric clinic)
- Perry - Dallas County Family Development Center
- Perry - Mercy Family Care
- Richland - River Hills Community Health Center, Inc. (Keokuk County Clinic)
- Riverside - UI Healthcare River Crossing
- Schaller - Schaller Crestland Elementary
- Sigourney - UI Healthcare
- Sioux Center - Promise Community Health Center
- Sioux Center - Sioux Center Community Hospital and Medical Clinic (clinic)
- Sioux City - Siouxland Community Health Center, Inc.
- Storm Lake - Buena Vista County Public Health
- Storm Lake - Dr. Lisa Lindeman's Dental Office
- Storm Lake - The Bridge of Storm Lake (Seneca Center)
- Storm Lake - The Bridge of Storm Lake (St. John's Lutheran Church)
- Storm Lake - United Community Health Center
- Toledo - Deer Creek Family Care
- Waterloo - Northeast Iowa Family Practice Center
- Waterloo - Peoples Community Health Clinic
- West Burlington - Community Health Centers of Southeastern Iowa, Inc.
- Woodbine - Alegent Health Clinic