Looking for a good way to connect your child to learning activities? Look no further than your local library!
IPTV and 35 libraries across Iowa are partnering together to host Ready for School Library Corners which will be placed during the 2014-2015 year. These library corners give children the opportunity to strengthen math and literacy skills through fun, engaging multimedia platforms.
Building on their love of favorite characters from PBS KIDS television programs such as Sesame Street, Super Why!, Martha Speaks, Curious George, and Sid the Science Kid, these activities are guaranteed to get everyone excited about reading and math.
Children and families will be able to visit the IPTV Library Corners anytime during library hours to explore reading activities and games. Visitors to the library will find a colorful and inviting area featuring the PBS characters they love. Children can play games on a computer, read a book, or watch an educational and interactive literacy skill-building DVD.
The IPTV Library Corners give children the opportunity to strengthen their literacy skills through fun and engaging multimedia platforms ranging from self-directed worksheets, online reading and math games, online videos and librarian- or parent-led activities using media clips from a broad selection of the PBS KIDS shows.
Library Corners are part of IPTV's Ready for School Initiative which uses a comprehensive approach to community engagement in 25 new communities in Iowa per year to surround children, parents, care providers, and educators with literacy-based content, online games, instructional materials, and educational activities to help children increase their school readiness and success.
This work builds from a proven track record of success in the pilot testing of these methods and resources in several Iowa communities that Iowa Public Television has led since 2008 and is now scaling statewide through Ready for School. This work has been validated by scientifically-based research funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
One Library Corner is also available on loan from the State Library of Iowa. If you would like to borrow one for use in your library, contact Rinda Kramme, of the SILO Interlibrary Loan system, at 1-800-248-4483.
Current Library Corners can be found in these libraries across Iowa:
- Ankeny Public Library
- Atlantic Public Library
- Belmond Public Library
- Burlington Public Library
- Cedar Rapids Public Library
- Centerville, Drake Public Library
- Chariton Public Library
- Cherokee Public Library
- Clinton Public Library
- Columbus Junction Public Library
- Corydon, LeCompte Memorial Library
- Council Bluffs Public Library
- Council Bluffs Community School District
- Davenport Public Library
- Davenport, Scott County Family Y
- Denison, Norelius Community Library
- Des Moines, Forest Avenue Library
- Des Moines, North Side Library
- Des Moines, South Union Elementary School
- Dubuque, Carnegie-Stout Public Library
- Eagle Grove Memorial Library
- Earlville, Ruth Suckow Memorial Library
- Eldon Public Library
- Fort Dodge Public Library
- Fort Madison Public Library
- Hampton Public Library
- Ida Grove Public Library
- Keokuk Public Library
- Keosauqua Public Library
- Knoxville Public Library
- Leon, South Elementary School
- Marshalltown Public Library
- Mason City Public Library
- Mitchellville Public Library
- Mount Ayr Public Library
- Mount Pleasant Public Library
- Muscatine, Musser Public Library
- Newton Public Library
- Oelwein Public Library
- Onawa Public Library
- Osceola, The Village Early Childhood Center
- Oskaloosa Public Library
- Ottumwa Public Library
- Perry Public Library
- Red Oak Public Library
- Shenandoah Hispanic Center
- Shenandoah Public Library
- Sioux Center Public Library
- Sioux City, Western Iowa Tech Community College
- Spencer Public Library
- Storm Lake Public Library
- Tama, Louise & Lucile Hink Public Library
- Wapello, Keck Memorial Library
- Waterloo Public Library
- Waukon, Roby Memorial Library
- West Liberty Public Library