Iowa’s 3rd Congressional District covers 12 counties located in central Iowa, from Polk County in the west to Benton and Iowa Counties in the east, and Grundy County in the north to Lucas and Monroe Counties in the south. The district is home to 622,000 Iowans, with 65 percent living in Polk County.
The Iowa Journal travels to some of the farthest corners of the district to visit with journalists and county chairs about the issues unique to this area of the state, including:
* Joe Judge, Monroe County Democratic chair and Albia High School teacher
* Alice DeRycke, Iowa County Republican chair and farmer
* Duane Nollen, editor of The Oskaloosa Herald
* Steve Richardson, vineyard manager at Tassel Ridge Winery
* Randall Forsyth, Benton County Sheriff
Paul Yeager interviews two guests in the studio to discuss the 3rd Congressional District: Tama County native Dave Paxton, publisher of the Chariton and Albia newspapers, and Richard Doak, retired editor and columnist for The Des Moines Register currently teaching at Iowa State University and Simpson College. (27:46)