- Iowa Assembly Meets
- Iowa Constitution and Banks
- Iowa Constitution and Race
- Iowa Government is Formed
- Iowa Moves Toward Statehood
- Legislative History
- Carrie Chapman Catt
- State Senate Chamber, ca. 1919
- The Capitol
- The House of Representatives' Chambers
- Protesting for Civil Rights, 1955
You will need a program capable of playing Microsoft Silverlight files to view this video.
Download Microsoft Silverlight for free at www.microsoft.com.
Iowa Moves Toward Statehood
This video player uses Microsoft Silverlight.
Now that’s for sure…
To become a state, Iowa first needed a Constitution. But in both 1840 and 1842 Iowans voted against calling a Constitutional Convention. Finally, in 1844 the Territorial Assembly decided the time was right to hold elections for Delegates to the first Constitutional Convention to meet in Iowa City in October of that year.
Iowa Pathways: Iowa History Resources for Students and Teachers
Home ~ My Path ~ Artifacts ~ Timeline ~ Quest ~ Teacher Resources ~ Project Information ~ SponsorsIowa Pathways © 2005 - 2013 Iowa Public Television