Iowa Past to Present Online Teacher's Guide
Browse the links on this page or select a chapter from the list below for related content and classroom resources.
Chapter 1: The Changing Land
The history of Iowa is more than just the story of the people who have lived here. It is also the story of the land itself. We do not often think of the land as changing much, because in the lifetime of one person, changes are too small to notice. Yet over thousands of years, small changes can make a big difference.Explore the resources on this page to find out more about ideas in the chapter:
- Pathways: Find related articles and make connections with other ideas in Iowa history.
- Artifacts: View related images, videos and more.
- Side Trails: Explore more on this topic on other websites.
Classroom Resources and Lesson Plans
- Iowa Past to Present Teacher Guide: Chapter 1
- Popular Topics in Iowa Geology and Geologic History, Iowa Geological & Water Survey, Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Introduction to Exploring the Prairie, Camp Silos, Silos & Smokestacks National Heritage Area
- The Land and The Built Environment, Prairie Voices Curriculum Guide, State Historical Society of Iowa
- Iowa Pathways Quest and Challenges
The Iowa Pathways Quest and Challenges are a collection of tasks that support students as they make and interpret connections among the people, places, events, and ideas of Iowa. Worksheets that model the thinking and research process are provided, as well as rubrics to aid you and your students.
Iowa Past to Present Chapter Listing
This online teachers guide was developed as a companion to the textbook Iowa Past to Present: The People and the Prairie (Revised 3rd Ed.); written by Dorothy Schwieder, Thomas Morain, and Lynn Nielsen; published by University of Iowa Press. Select a chapter from the list below to find related content and classroom resources.
- Chapter 1: The Changing Land
- Chapter 2: American Indians, The Earliest People in Iowa
- Chapter 3: Many Flags over Iowa
- Chapter 4: Pioneers on the Prairie
- Chapter 5: Pioneer Life on the Prairie
- Chapter 6: Rivers, Trails, and Train Tracks, Transportation in the 1800s
- Chapter 7: A Nation Divided
- Chapter 8: Settlers from Many Lands
- Chapter 9: Providing a Government
- Chapter 10: Schools for a New State
- Chapter 11: Keeping Faith on the Frontier
- Chapter 12: Experiments in Community Living
- Chapter 13: Life on the Farm—Iowa Style
- Chapter 14: New Inventions Bring Change
- Chapter 15: Business and Industry in Iowa
- Chapter 16: Word War I and Hard Times After
- Chapter 17: Depression, Changing Times, and World War II
- Chapter 18: A Time of Many Changes
- Chapter 19: Iowa in the World