Iowa Past to Present Online Teacher's Guide
Browse the links on this page or select a chapter from the list below for related content and classroom resources.
Chapter 17: Depression, Changing Times, and World War II
The years after the First World War were a time when the new mixed with the old. Horse-drawn wagons and shiny automobiles shared the same roads. An Iowan set a speed record in an airplane. Radios brought music and news into homes, and movie theatres spread across the state. In the 1930s, however, the hard times spread beyond farming and times became tough for most people in the nation. It was the Great Depression, when many people were unable to find work and most families had little money. Meanwhile, a new leader, called Adolph Hitler, had come to power in Germany. He wanted his country to be the most powerful nation on earth. At the same time, Japan built up its military strength in the Far East. Other counties again prepared for war. The United States had become too involved in world affairs to stand apart.Explore the resources on this page to find out more about ideas in the chapter:
- Iowa Past to Present Teacher Guide: Chapter 17
- Pathways: Find related articles and make connections with other ideas in Iowa history.
- Artifacts: View related images, videos and more.
- Side Trails: Explore more on this topic on other websites.
Suggested Classroom Resources and Lesson Plans
- The Depression, Explorations in Iowa History Project, University of Northern Iowa
- Iowa Pathways Quest and Challenges
The Iowa Pathways Quest and Challenges are a collection of tasks that support students as they make and interpret connections among the people, places, events, and ideas of Iowa. Worksheets that model the thinking and research process are provided, as well as rubrics to aid you and your students.
Iowa Past to Present Chapter Listing
This online teachers guide was developed as a companion to the textbook Iowa Past to Present: The People and the Prairie (Revised 3rd Ed.); written by Dorothy Schwieder, Thomas Morain, and Lynn Nielsen; published by University of Iowa Press. Select a chapter from the list below to find related content and classroom resources.
- Chapter 1: The Changing Land
- Chapter 2: American Indians, The Earliest People in Iowa
- Chapter 3: Many Flags over Iowa
- Chapter 4: Pioneers on the Prairie
- Chapter 5: Pioneer Life on the Prairie
- Chapter 6: Rivers, Trails, and Train Tracks, Transportation in the 1800s
- Chapter 7: A Nation Divided
- Chapter 8: Settlers from Many Lands
- Chapter 9: Providing a Government
- Chapter 10: Schools for a New State
- Chapter 11: Keeping Faith on the Frontier
- Chapter 12: Experiments in Community Living
- Chapter 13: Life on the Farm—Iowa Style
- Chapter 14: New Inventions Bring Change
- Chapter 15: Business and Industry in Iowa
- Chapter 16: Word War I and Hard Times After
- Chapter 17: Depression, Changing Times, and World War II
- Chapter 18: A Time of Many Changes
- Chapter 19: Iowa in the World