Iowa Past to Present Online Teacher's Guide
Browse the links on this page or select a chapter from the list below for related content and classroom resources.
Chapter 19: Iowa in the World
As the clock approached midnight on New Year's Eve on December 31, 1999, many people waited for a historic moment. January 1, 2000 would be not only the first day of a new year. It was the first day of a new century. Looking back one hundred years to the year 1900, Iowans were amazed at how the world had changed—automobiles, television, computers, a moon walk, cell phones. Could anyone even guess what Iowa might be in another one hundred years? Some feared a disaster with the coming of the year 2000. They were afraid that computers would shut down when they turned over the new century. No such problems occurred. Everything seemed to be running well on New Year's Day as Iowa and the world started on a new century.Explore the resources on this page to find out more about ideas in the chapter:
- Iowa Past to Present Teacher Guide: Chapter 19
- Pathways: Find related articles and make connections with other ideas in Iowa history.
- Artifacts: View related images, videos and more.
- Side Trails: Explore more on this topic on other websites.
Suggested Classroom Resources and Lesson Plans
- Iowa Pathways Quest and Challenges
The Iowa Pathways Quest and Challenges are a collection of tasks that support students as they make and interpret connections among the people, places, events, and ideas of Iowa. Worksheets that model the thinking and research process are provided, as well as rubrics to aid you and your students.
Iowa Past to Present Chapter Listing
This online teachers guide was developed as a companion to the textbook Iowa Past to Present: The People and the Prairie (Revised 3rd Ed.); written by Dorothy Schwieder, Thomas Morain, and Lynn Nielsen; published by University of Iowa Press. Select a chapter from the list below to find related content and classroom resources.
- Chapter 1: The Changing Land
- Chapter 2: American Indians, The Earliest People in Iowa
- Chapter 3: Many Flags over Iowa
- Chapter 4: Pioneers on the Prairie
- Chapter 5: Pioneer Life on the Prairie
- Chapter 6: Rivers, Trails, and Train Tracks, Transportation in the 1800s
- Chapter 7: A Nation Divided
- Chapter 8: Settlers from Many Lands
- Chapter 9: Providing a Government
- Chapter 10: Schools for a New State
- Chapter 11: Keeping Faith on the Frontier
- Chapter 12: Experiments in Community Living
- Chapter 13: Life on the Farm—Iowa Style
- Chapter 14: New Inventions Bring Change
- Chapter 15: Business and Industry in Iowa
- Chapter 16: Word War I and Hard Times After
- Chapter 17: Depression, Changing Times, and World War II
- Chapter 18: A Time of Many Changes
- Chapter 19: Iowa in the World