PBS LearningMedia Launches
June 22, 2011
We are excited to inform you that a brand new resource has just launched: PBS LearningMedia, a content repository offered by Iowa Public Television and PBS.
This next-generation digital media service empowers PreK–16 educators to re-imagine classroom learning, transform teaching, and creatively engage students. It brings together the best of public media, produced specifically for educators, from PBS, WGBH, IPTV and 55+ public media partners. This flexible service includes high-quality content tied to Common Core and national curriculum standards.
The service offers:
- Unique access to best-in-class resources from PBS producers and partners and technology resources tied to Common Core and national curriculum standards
- A robust content library of thousands of digital core curriculum resources, designed with today's student in mind
- Carefully created, purpose-built media: videos, interactives, audios, lesson plans, multimedia, professional development, and more
- Ability for educators to search, save, share, and review content
The launch of the site this week is considered a "soft" launch of a basic service prior to any major publicity, as there may still be some technical issues yet to be resolved. PBS will be expanding the feature throughout this summer.
Specific features available in the Summer 2011 launch include:
- PreK-16 Digital Content Library: Over 12,000 digital resources— video, interactives, documents, images and audio files— covering the core subject areas. Many have supporting lesson plans, worksheets, activities, discussion questions.
- Professional Development Content Library: Hundreds of videos demonstrating classroom teaching practices.
- Search and Browse: Ability to perform keyword searches and browse through a hierarchical curriculum-based list of subjects. Ability to drill down by grade, subject, media type and permitted use. Will add ability to search by accessibility preferences in July 2011.
- Save and Organize Content: Bookmark content resources and add personalized keyword tags to help with organizing resources within teacher account. Add notes to resources.
- Rate and Comment on Content (July 2011): Recommend content to other users and share ideas for utilizing resources in teaching.
- Social Media Sharing: Post and share content to social media sites, including Facebook.
- Teacher Class Pages (July 2011): Post teacher-selected content for students to view through class pages.
- Teacher Profile: Ability to create a profile page with school, grade and subject information. Will add ability to upload picture and select accessibility preferences in July 2011.
- Common Core: Alignment of content to Common Core standards (math and language arts)
- National: Alignment of content to National standards (e.g. NCTM, NSTA, etc…)
Visit http://pbslearningmedia.org now to create an account and access this powerful new resource.