Churches of Shelby County
In this week's Side Roads segment, Paul Berge examines the exceptional architecture in Shelby County, beginning with the county courthouse in Harlan. It was built in 1892 with a magnificent bell tower that was too heavy for the building to support, so it had to be removed.
Shelby County is more famous for its historic churches in five communities that are known as the German Colonies. The early German settlers used their craftsmanship to build ornate structures with soaring steeples, ornate altars and beautiful stained glass windows. The residents are so proud of their churches that tours are available. For tour information, contact Betty Gaul at (712)747-6081.