Prayer in America
This film addresses the role prayer has played in shaping the development and history of America. The two-part documentary explores contemporary debates about the role of prayer through the lens of history. By asking rhetorically, "how did we get here?" the show examines the ways in which prayer has contributed to and continues to shape the American experience.
Prayer in America explores myriad historical issues, events and perspectives related to prayer in the United States. The program will be presented in two one-hour segments. The rough outline for each hour is:
- Main Topics for Show One
- American Prayer
- Immigrant Experience
- Slavery & Prayer
- The Social Gospel, Business and Prayer
- School Prayer
- Main Topics for Show Two
- Forgiveness and Prayer (including prison ministry debates)
- Science, Healing & Prayer
- Civil Religion, War and Prayer
Prayer in America is not the end of the discussion. It's part of a continuum that is molded by people and events throughout history. To avoid the discussion is to avoid the "elephant in the room." In a world where prayer and religious practice are often seen as a dividing force, we hope our dialogue contributes to a better understanding of what it means to practice faith in America today.
Below, you’ll have the opportunity to watch a brief teaser from the program to get a sense for the tone and breadth of the project.
For more information about the film, visit www.duncanentertainment.com or contact Duane Huey at Iowa Public Television at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-242-3101.
In addition to the public television program Prayer in America, there is an extensive community outreach campaign being conducted by Outreach Extensions. Like the film, the outreach campaign is multi-faith in its perspectives and designed to engage and involve the public in a greater discussion of the issues raised in the film. For additional information on the outreach campaign, please contact Judy Ravitz at Jroutext@aol.com.
- News Release for Prayer in America (Microsoft Word)
- List of Key Contacts for Prayer in America (Microsoft Word)
- Information about The Duncan Group (Microsoft Word)
- Biographical information on Jim Moore, author of Prayer in America (Microsoft Word)
- Information about the Outreach Campaign (Microsoft Word)
- Biographical information on musician Peter Buffett (Microsoft Word)
- Program Descriptions for Prayer in America (Microsoft Word)
- Video Download
- Sneak Peek Clip (iPod Download) (Downloadable Video, 320 x 240)