Merce Cunningham: A Lifetime of Dance (#1506)
One of the 20th century's greatest choreographers, Merce Cunningham remains, at age 80, a fountain of creative youth. He continues to bring innovative, brilliant imagination, and new areas of expression to the world of dance. His first concert was in New York City in 1944. His most recent was in 2001. This one-hour film offers viewers exciting retrospective footage and a palpable feel for his now-historic collaborations with Martha Grahm, John Cage, Robert Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns, and insight into the creative process itself through intimate footage of Cunningham's daily routines at home, around town and in the studio. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Full Program: Mel Brooks: The 2000 Year Old Man. 01:22:41
Even while fighting in WWII, Mel Brooks went for the laugh. 'American Masters - Mel Brooks: Make a Noise' premieres... 01:23
Full Program: Survey the career of the first Chinese-American movie star. 56:46
"Mel Brooks: Make a Noise" profiles the larger-than-life, yet very private comedy giant. He has never authorized a... 01:18
Salute the entertainer who was a one-woman army of comedic characters: Carol Burnett. 00:30
- Watch more video from this program »
Series Description: AMERICAN MASTERS is an ongoing series of award-winning primetime specials examining the lives, works, and creative processes of our most outstanding cultural artists. Created in 1984 by Susan Lacy and produced by Thirteen/WNET for national public television, the series is both a celebration and an exploration of creativity in America. Consisting of more than 250 hours of programming to date, AMERICAN MASTERS is a growing film library documenting the role important individuals, groups, and movements have played in the formation of our cultural identity.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of American Masters aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Hollywood Chinese (#2202)
- Carol Burnett: A Woman of Character (#2008)
- James Levine: America's Maestro (#2403)
- Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts (#2109)
- John Muir in the New World (#2402)
- Trumbo (#2205)
- Philip Roth: Unmasked (#2603)
- Joan Baez: How Sweet the Sound (#2206)
- Neil Young: Don't Be Denied (#2203)
- Cab Calloway: Sketches (#2502)
- Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune (#2501)
- Margaret Mitchell: American Rebel (#2503)
- Harper Lee: Hey Boo (#2504)
- Sister Rosetta Tharpe: The Godmother of Rock & Roll (#2602)