What Jennifer Saw (#1508)
This episode examines the reliability of eyewitness identification in criminal cases. In 1984, Jennifer Thompson, a 22-year-old college student in Burlington, North Carolina endured a brutal sexual assault. Little did she know that the conviction of her alleged assailant would take her and the accused, a young man named Ronald Cotton, on a torturous journey through the American justice system. Although the physical evidence was scanty, Cotton was eventually convicted of two rapes and ordered to serve two life sentences, primarily due to Thompson's eyewitness identification. He never wavered from his declaration of innocence, and even met a fellow prisoner whom he said committed the rapes. After 10 years in prison, Cotton's case came to the attention of law professor Rich Rosen, who applied the newer techniques of DNA testing on semen samples collected at the crime scene, now a standard forensic procedure in rape investigations. Through testing, Cotton was cleared of any wrongdoing, and the real rapist was convicted. Frontline interviews the participants in this compelling story about the validity of visual identification. [58 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- Social Studies
- Series Length
- 359 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 68 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: As PBS' premier public affairs series, FRONTLINE's stature is reaffirmed each week through incisive documentaries covering the scope and complexity of the human, social and political experience.
All Upcoming Episodes
The Retirement Gamble (#3108)
The Trouble with Chicken (#3218)
These episodes of Frontline aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Gunned Down: The Power of the NRA (#3304)
- The Trouble with Antibiotics (#3301)
- Drug Lord: The Legend of Shorty (#3220)
- Escaping ISIS (#3312)
- Prison State (#3210)
- Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria (#3114)
- Solitary Nation (#3209)
- Growing Up Trans (#3401)
- Rape on the Night Shift (#3311)
- Being Mortal (#3306)
- Obama at War (#3310)
- Secrets, Politics and Torture (#3309)
- The Trouble with Chicken (#3218)
- Outbreak (#3308)
- American Terrorist (#3307)
- Memory of the Camps (#318)
- The Fight for Yemen (#3219)
- The Vaccine War (#2816)
- The Rise of Isis (#3302)
- A Death In St. Augustine (#3115)
- Outlawed In Pakistan (#3110)