The Execution (#1711)
FRONTLINE explores capital punishment through the story of Clifford Boggess, a 30-year-old criminal who spends nearly a decade on death row. Boggess, former star athlete, honor student, pianist, artist, Catholic convert, orphan and convicted murderer, is sentenced to death, after having committed brutal murders of two elderly storeowners in a small Texas town. Repeated glimpses into Boggess' character show a remorseful man, apologizing to his victims' families, asking for God's forgiveness, and willingly accepting his fate on the injection table. However, Frontline examines the deeper implications behind this man's sentence: how Boggess' death offers no definitive solution to the anger and pain suffered by the victims and their families, and why death perhaps cannot be considered punishment for a troubled man who seems to accept it with open arms. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- Social Studies
- Series Length
- 360 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 68 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: As PBS' premier public affairs series, FRONTLINE's stature is reaffirmed each week through incisive documentaries covering the scope and complexity of the human, social and political experience.
All Upcoming Episodes
The Retirement Gamble (#3108)
The Trouble with Chicken (#3218)
These episodes of Frontline aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- The Trouble with Antibiotics (#3301)
- Drug Lord: The Legend of Shorty (#3220)
- Escaping ISIS (#3312)
- Prison State (#3210)
- Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria (#3114)
- Solitary Nation (#3209)
- Growing Up Trans (#3401)
- Rape on the Night Shift (#3311)
- Being Mortal (#3306)
- Obama at War (#3310)
- Secrets, Politics and Torture (#3309)
- The Trouble with Chicken (#3218)
- Outbreak (#3308)
- American Terrorist (#3307)
- Memory of the Camps (#318)
- The Fight for Yemen (#3219)
- The Vaccine War (#2816)
- The Rise of Isis (#3302)
- A Death In St. Augustine (#3115)
- Outlawed In Pakistan (#3110)