Jefferson's Blood (#1815)
For years there existed a rumor that Thomas Jefferson had a long-standing relationship and several children by Sally Hemings, a woman who was his slave. Now, DNA tests all but prove the rumor true. An early hero of the anti-slavery movement, Jefferson wrote brilliantly of the corrupting influence of slavery on blacks and whites alike. Yet it is now apparent that he lived a dual life, sharing his house with his white daughter and grandchildren while his unacknowledged mistress and his children by her worked in the same house as slaves. In a personal essay, FRONTLINE correspondent Shelby Steele examines Jefferson's life and follows the descendents of Jefferson and Hemings as they undergo DNA testing, search out their family history, and try to sort out their place along Americas blurred color line. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- Social Studies
- Series Length
- 359 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 68 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: As PBS' premier public affairs series, FRONTLINE's stature is reaffirmed each week through incisive documentaries covering the scope and complexity of the human, social and political experience.
All Upcoming Episodes
The Retirement Gamble (#3108)
The Trouble with Chicken (#3218)
These episodes of Frontline aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- The Trouble with Antibiotics (#3301)
- Drug Lord: The Legend of Shorty (#3220)
- Escaping ISIS (#3312)
- Prison State (#3210)
- Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria (#3114)
- Solitary Nation (#3209)
- Growing Up Trans (#3401)
- Rape on the Night Shift (#3311)
- Being Mortal (#3306)
- Obama at War (#3310)
- Secrets, Politics and Torture (#3309)
- The Trouble with Chicken (#3218)
- Outbreak (#3308)
- American Terrorist (#3307)
- Memory of the Camps (#318)
- The Fight for Yemen (#3219)
- The Vaccine War (#2816)
- The Rise of Isis (#3302)
- A Death In St. Augustine (#3115)
- Outlawed In Pakistan (#3110)