China in the Red (#2112)
Four years in the making, this two-hour FRONTLINE documentary chronicles three pivotal years in China's historic evolution from a rigid Communist society to an exploding market economy. For more than half a century, millions of Chinese workers labored in state-run factories that provided cradle-to-grave job security. But the economic reforms that have brought the world's most populous nation economic prosperity and world-power status now threaten the livelihood of many Chinese workers. The Chinese Communist Party can no longer afford to subsidize the factories, and millions of workers are being laid off, with no social safety net to catch them. "China in the Red" follows 10 Chinese citizens caught up in the social and economic transformation, and through their stories reveals a nation in flux and a people struggling to survive in a world they never dreamed would exist.
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- Social Studies
- Series Length
- 367 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 68 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: As PBS' premier public affairs series, FRONTLINE's stature is reaffirmed each week through incisive documentaries covering the scope and complexity of the human, social and political experience.
All Upcoming Episodes
The Rise of Isis (#3302)
My Brother's Bomber (1 of 3) (#3313)
- Sun, December 20, 8:00 PM on IPTV World
My Brother's Bomber (2 of 3) (#3314)
- Sun, December 20, 9:00 PM on IPTV World
My Brother's Bomber (3 of 3) (#3315)
Escaping ISIS (#3312)
These episodes of Frontline aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald? (#3204)
- Isis In Afghanistan (#3318)
- Gunned Down: The Power of the NRA (#3304)
- Terror in Little Saigon (#3317)
- Inside Assad's Syria (#3402)
- Immigration Battle (#3316)
- My Brother's Bomber (3 of 3) (#3315)
- My Brother's Bomber (2 of 3) (#3314)
- My Brother's Bomber (1 of 3) (#3313)
- Putin's Way (#3305)
- The Trouble with Chicken (#3218)
- The Retirement Gamble (#3108)
- Outbreak (#3308)