20th Century Turning Points in U.S. History
Program 6: 1953-1963 (#106)
Program 6: 1953-1963
1953- John Foster Dulles Becomes Eisenhower's Cold War Warrior
1954- Senator Joseph McCarthy Is Condemned by the Senate
1954- Brown v. Board of Education
1955- Rosa Parks Is Arrested
1960- Nixon-Kennedy Televised Debates
1962- Astronaut John Glenn Is the First American to Orbit the Earth
1962- Cuban Missile Crisis
1963- Martin Luther King's “I Have a Dream” Speech
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- 6-8, 9-12
- Curricular Areas
- Social Studies
- Series Length
- 8 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 27 minutes
- Record Rights
- Recording/duplication allowed as long as IPTV broadcasts the series. If you miss the broadcast, contact your AEA for copies.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: This new series highlights significant developments in science, art, politics, technology, and popular culture, providing a clear overview of the people and events that distinguished the twentieth century.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of 20th Century Turning Points in U.S. History aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Program 8: 1973-1999 (#108)
- Program 7: 1964-1973 (#107)
- Program 6: 1953-1963 (#106)
- Program 5: 1944-1952 (#105)
- Program 4: 1929-1943 (#104)
- Program 3: 1919-1928 (#103)
- Program 2: 1908-1918 (#102)
- Program 1: 1900-1907 (#101)