Biodiversity: Threats from Overfishing and Invasive Species (#644)
Turkey: Threats to Marine Biodiversity - Gokova Bay in southwestern Turkey is renowned for its marine biodiversity, but this is now under threat from invasive species and overfishing. The Mediterranean Conservation Society is a Turkish NGO which aims to conserve natural habitats and restore degraded coastal ecosystems in Turkey. Now, swathes of Gokova Bay have been turned into protected areas where fishing is banned.
Fiji: Peer Control of Papaya Farms - In many developing countries and emerging nations farmers are finding that there's money to be made from going organic. But the main obstacle they face is securing organic certification, which can prove costly. Now that Participatory Guarantee Systems are officially recognized as organic certification in over 20 countries worldwide, peer review committees consisting of members from local groups are responsible for monitoring and inspecting the fields of the farmers in the group.
Info-film: How harmful to the climate is transporting food by air? Importing food from overseas leaves a shocking carbon footprint.
Global Snack: Churrasco from Argentina - Argentinians love to eat meat, and that's good news for snackbar owner Sandra Sanchez. Her speciality is Churrasco. Sandra Sanchez's grill stand can be found on the Costanera Sur on the east side of the district of Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires.
Kenya: Transforming Lives with Social Lending - More than 380 million people in Africa don't have bank accounts and therefore can't take out loans. Danish entrepreneur Mads Kjaer founded a social lending platform that matches people who need money with people who want to lend it. The online marketplace MYC4 was founded in 2006. It allows investors to lend directly to small businesses in Africa. [26 minutes]
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
Turkey: Threats to Marine Biodiversity - Gokova Bay in southwestern Turkey is renowned for its marine biodiversity, but this is now under threat from invasive species and overfishing. The... [26 minutes]
- Sat, November 29, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Ebola: An Epidemic Heightened By Poverty (#643)
- Peru's Biodiversity: from the Andes Into The Amazon (#642)
- Peru's Biodiversity: from the Andes Into The Amazon (#641)
- Saving The Few Snow Leopards Left (#640)
- Tuna: Overfishing to Extinction? (#639)
- Living As A Castaway and Loving It (#638)
- Asian Immigrants - Becoming A Majority In USA Society (#637)
- Episode #636
- Lion Fish Invasion: Invasive Change In Biodiversity (#635)
- Oceans of Garbage (#634)
- Episode #633
- Lotus Silk: The World's Most Precious Material (#632)
- Clearing The Air In Mexico City (#631)
- Future of Energy Storage for Europe Lies In Norway (#630)
- Wikipedia: Manipulating of Information (#629)
- Drowning Culture with Dams In Turkey (#628)
- The Pacific Atlantis: Disappearing Island (#627)
- Episode #626
- Protesting Pesticides In Hawaii (#625)
- Flashing Away Lions from Livestock (#624)
- China's Fast Track to Us Citizenship (#623)
- Pioneer In Climate Change: Costa Rica (#620)
- Lion Protection Program (#622)