Syria's Chronic Water Shortage (#243)
Green Capital 2011" - Hamburg is the new Green Capital of Europe -The European Commission has awarded Hamburg the title "European Green Capital 2011".
Syria - Children help save water - The "fertile crescent", which once provided for the needs of the population from the Nile to Mesopotamia, is drying up. This region counts as one of the most arid regions in the world.
Social Entrepreneur: Veronica Abud from Chile - A library in a super market and mobile libraries for children living in the rural areas -these are the two initiatives started by the "La Fuente" foundation, established by Veronica Abud. She's fighting against illiteracy in her country, Chile.
India: Trends from Trash - The megalopolis of New-Delhi is home to around 19 million people - and everyday, they produce tons of trash. The municipality of the mega city barely manages to dispose of two-thirds of it. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
Tunisia: Jellyfish Scourge in the Mediterranean - Tunisia's coastline is under threat from an influx of jellyfish. The creatures arrive in the water tanks of large merchant ships and present... [26 minutes]
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Mediterranean Jellyfish Scourge (#716)
- Easter Island Mystique (#715)
- USA: Policing The Police (#714)
- Syrian Refugees' Flight (#713)
- USA: Dramatic Rise In Homeless Children (#712)
- Chinese canal construction-destroying Nicaragua's water supply? (#711)
- Booming to Burst-China's Real Estate Market (#710)
- Cuba & Us: Best Class Enemies (#709)
- Aid Barely Aiding The Poor (#708)
- Boko Haram: Terrorism In Africa (#707)
- Dark Side of Finances (#706)
- Cuban Doctors - Slave Labor In Brazil? (#705)
- Children In Crisis - Getting A Second Chance (#704)
- Sell Or Stay? Robbing Paraguay's Indigenous People (#703)
- Myth of the Monarch Butterfly (#702)
- Saving Elephants from Extinction (#701)
- Orangutans' Shrinking Ecosystem (#652)
- Soy Instead of Steak? (#651)
- Curse of Tin and Technology (#650)
- Over One Million Syrian Refugees Struggling in Lebanon (#649)
- USA: California Drought Turns Desperate (#648)