Syria's Chronic Water Shortage (#243)
Green Capital 2011" - Hamburg is the new Green Capital of Europe -The European Commission has awarded Hamburg the title "European Green Capital 2011".
Syria - Children help save water - The "fertile crescent", which once provided for the needs of the population from the Nile to Mesopotamia, is drying up. This region counts as one of the most arid regions in the world.
Social Entrepreneur: Veronica Abud from Chile - A library in a super market and mobile libraries for children living in the rural areas -these are the two initiatives started by the "La Fuente" foundation, established by Veronica Abud. She's fighting against illiteracy in her country, Chile.
India: Trends from Trash - The megalopolis of New-Delhi is home to around 19 million people - and everyday, they produce tons of trash. The municipality of the mega city barely manages to dispose of two-thirds of it. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Fans Instead of Fish In Fiji (#550)
- Cuba: Fee to Travel Freedom (#549)
- Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Farming Salmon Contaminating Ecosystems (#547)
- New View of Mapping The World (#546)
- Clicking Clients' Likes for Cash (#545)
- Recycling Trash Into An Orchestra (#544)
- Huge Reservoir Discovered In African Desert (#543)
- Preserving A Piece of Paradise (#542)
- Preserving A Little Piece of Paradise (#541)
- Tackling The Taliban with a TV Heroine (#540)
- Saving Lives Before The Ambulance Arrives (#539)
- Fire Fighting Climate Change In Brazil (#538)
- Is There Still Time to Save The Habitats of Millions of African Animals? (#537)
- Stimulants: Medications Used to Improve Performance (#536)
- The Rush to Save The Habitat of Millions of Africa Animals (#535)
- Real estate improvements pushing the poor out of Rio (#534)
- Episode #533
- Episode #532
- Turning Autism Into Vocational Jobs (#531)