The Scars of Genocide 30 Years Later In Cambodia (#244)
Justice For The Victims - The UN Tribunal in Cambodia - In Cambodia, the surviving leaders of the Khmer Rouge have gone on trial for genocide. While former military leaders and Khmer Rouge face prosecution, the country has started the process of coming to terms with the past over 30 years on.
Reliving History: Guatemala Uncovers the Painful Secrets of the Past - For decades, many Guatemalans have been left to wonder what happened to their loved ones. But in 2005, an old police archive was discovered in Guatemala City. The official records are slowly providing some answers for the victims' family and friends.
Global Living Room: Bokonbayevo, Kyrgyzstan - Seilman Shorukova is 73 years old and she lives in the village of Bokonbayevo in Kyrgyzstan.
Biogas - A New Source of Energy for Nepal - In Nepal, domestic biogas plants are revolutionizing the lives of the rural population. Biogas cuts down on CO2 emissions, saves firewood and lightens the load for small farmers in the countryside. The Nepalese government is pushing forward with its plan to have 7,500 biogas facilities up and running by the end of the year. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Services On Demand (#747)
- Illegal Industry: Electrical Waste Disposal Polluting Environment (#746)
- Ancient Inca Knowledge & Water Adaptation (#745)
- Conservation Between Caribbean Islands (#744)
- Saola: Mysterious Animal Disappearing (#743)
- Torturous Tomato Farming In Italy (#742)
- Poverty Healthcare: Mobile Clinics in the USA (#741)
- Vanishing Vultures: Valuable Scavengers (#740)
- UN Millennium Project Challenges (#739)
- Health Teams Risk Their Lives to Save Lives (#738)
- Illegal Mineral Trade (#737)
- Booming Business of Slum Tourism (#736)
- Big Business of Opium (#735)
- Lifeline of Water (#734)
- Saving The Cape Parrot from Extinction (#733)
- Worldwide Waste: Food We Dump (#732)
- Failed State of South Sudan (#731)
- Cannabis: USA Big Business (#730)
- Baghdad: Music Against Terror (#729)
- Scary Scars: Brazil's Domestic Violence (#728)
- Mayan Descendants Saving Their Forest (#727)