Kenya: Clamping down on corruption
According to UN estimates, one billion Euros is lost in bribes every year. The problem is most acute in developing countries, due largely to lack of transparency in institutions tackling corruption.
Turkey: Preserving wetlands in Turkey
Wetlands play a key role in preserving biodiversity and have valuable carbon storage capacities. Turkey is home to 135 of these areas, but recent years have seen many of these wetlands degraded as a result of non-sustainable use. Drainage of wetlands for land reclamation and extraction of groundwater to irrigate agricultural land have had an extremely negative impact.
US - The boom in the fertility business
In California, reproductive medicine is booming. Thanks to sperm donations, egg freezing and surrogate mothers, childless couples, single women and gay men can become parents. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
Turkey: Culture Heritage Under Water - Turkey is building a huge dam on the river Tigris to generate energy for irrigation. Entire villages including Hasankeyf, which dates back to the Bronze... [26 minutes]
- Sat, August 30, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- The Pacific Atlantis: Disappearing Island (#627)
- Episode #626
- Protesting Pesticides In Hawaii (#625)
- Flashing Away Lions from Livestock (#624)
- China's Fast Track to Us Citizenship (#623)
- Pioneer In Climate Change: Costa Rica (#620)
- Lion Protection Program (#622)
- Saving Hundreds of Rare Bird Species (#621)
- Saving Przewalski Horses from Extinction (#619)
- Keystone Xl Pipeline: In Or Out? (#618)
- Genetically Modified Corn Proves Disastrous for Farmers (#617)
- Episode #616
- Lion Fish Ruining Barrier Reefs (#615)
- Iran's New Era: Unblocking Freedom of Expression (#614)
- Syria: Kurdish Women Soldiers Against Jihadists (#613)
- Empowering Women for Success (#612)
- California Drought: Fields Turning Into Deserts (#611)
- Canada: Oil Boom Consequences (#610)
- Brazil: 2nd Largest In Internet Media (#607)
- Eu Covert Operation: Let In Banned USA Food? (#609)