Africa's New Young Global Leaders (#302)
Recycling refrigerators in Brazil - People who can't afford a new fridge in Brazil buy a second-hand one. That means almost one in ten fridges here are more than 16 years old and use far too much electricity. The major power companies in Brazil have to invest 0.5% of their turnover in energy efficiency.
Young Global Leaders Africa: Leadership - They are part of a network of international top managers from business, politics, science and culture. Appointed by the World Economic Forum the Young Global Leaders work for a better world.
Iran - Environmental Awareness - Lake Urmia is in north eastern Iran. It is an important resting place for migrant birds and home to thousands of water birds including flamingos. The water level in the lake is sinking, leaving a salt desert. Environmentalists in Iran are regarded as unwelcome critics and must expect reprisals. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tuna: Overfishing to Extinction? (#639)
- Living As A Castaway and Loving It (#638)
- Asian Immigrants - Becoming A Majority In USA Society (#637)
- Episode #636
- Lion Fish Invasion: Invasive Change In Biodiversity (#635)
- Oceans of Garbage (#634)
- Episode #633
- Lotus Silk: The World's Most Precious Material (#632)
- Clearing The Air In Mexico City (#631)
- Future of Energy Storage for Europe Lies In Norway (#630)
- Wikipedia: Manipulating of Information (#629)
- Drowning Culture with Dams In Turkey (#628)
- The Pacific Atlantis: Disappearing Island (#627)
- Episode #626
- Protesting Pesticides In Hawaii (#625)
- Flashing Away Lions from Livestock (#624)
- China's Fast Track to Us Citizenship (#623)
- Pioneer In Climate Change: Costa Rica (#620)
- Lion Protection Program (#622)