Africa Takes The Brunt of Climate Change (#304)
Questionnaire: Usonkadir Toktombayev from Saruu, Kyrgyzstan -Usonkadir is retired and lives in the village of Saruu in Kyrgyzstan where he grows his own vegetables. He has never travelled.
Social Entrepreneur: Fernando Nilo - Innovative, fair - and ideally, profitable: that's the sort of business that our 'Social Entrepreneurs' are interested in. They're creative and they have a conscience, and increasingly, they're stepping in to help out where the State fails. In Chile, we meet a businessman who's managed to convince the public that recycling makes sense.
Climate Change in Africa - According to researchers, climate change will affect Africa more than any other continent in the world. It's also the continent most ill-prepared to deal with the consequences.
Water for Ethiopia - Ethiopia is struggling with the consequences of climate change. Droughts and flash floods are ruining entire harvests. How can small farmers in arid regions survive? [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Fans Instead of Fish In Fiji (#550)
- Cuba: Fee to Travel Freedom (#549)
- Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Farming Salmon Contaminating Ecosystems (#547)
- New View of Mapping The World (#546)
- Clicking Clients' Likes for Cash (#545)
- Recycling Trash Into An Orchestra (#544)
- Huge Reservoir Discovered In African Desert (#543)
- Preserving A Piece of Paradise (#542)
- Preserving A Little Piece of Paradise (#541)
- Tackling The Taliban with a TV Heroine (#540)
- Saving Lives Before The Ambulance Arrives (#539)
- Fire Fighting Climate Change In Brazil (#538)
- Is There Still Time to Save The Habitats of Millions of African Animals? (#537)
- Stimulants: Medications Used to Improve Performance (#536)
- The Rush to Save The Habitat of Millions of Africa Animals (#535)
- Real estate improvements pushing the poor out of Rio (#534)
- Episode #533
- Episode #532
- Turning Autism Into Vocational Jobs (#531)