Africa Takes The Brunt of Climate Change (#304)
Questionnaire: Usonkadir Toktombayev from Saruu, Kyrgyzstan -Usonkadir is retired and lives in the village of Saruu in Kyrgyzstan where he grows his own vegetables. He has never travelled.
Social Entrepreneur: Fernando Nilo - Innovative, fair - and ideally, profitable: that's the sort of business that our 'Social Entrepreneurs' are interested in. They're creative and they have a conscience, and increasingly, they're stepping in to help out where the State fails. In Chile, we meet a businessman who's managed to convince the public that recycling makes sense.
Climate Change in Africa - According to researchers, climate change will affect Africa more than any other continent in the world. It's also the continent most ill-prepared to deal with the consequences.
Water for Ethiopia - Ethiopia is struggling with the consequences of climate change. Droughts and flash floods are ruining entire harvests. How can small farmers in arid regions survive? [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Living As A Castaway and Loving It (#638)
- Asian Immigrants - Becoming A Majority In USA Society (#637)
- Episode #636
- Lion Fish Invasion: Invasive Change In Biodiversity (#635)
- Oceans of Garbage (#634)
- Episode #633
- Lotus Silk: The World's Most Precious Material (#632)
- Clearing The Air In Mexico City (#631)
- Future of Energy Storage for Europe Lies In Norway (#630)
- Wikipedia: Manipulating of Information (#629)
- Drowning Culture with Dams In Turkey (#628)
- The Pacific Atlantis: Disappearing Island (#627)
- Episode #626
- Protesting Pesticides In Hawaii (#625)
- Flashing Away Lions from Livestock (#624)
- China's Fast Track to Us Citizenship (#623)
- Pioneer In Climate Change: Costa Rica (#620)
- Lion Protection Program (#622)
- Saving Hundreds of Rare Bird Species (#621)
- Saving Przewalski Horses from Extinction (#619)
- Keystone Xl Pipeline: In Or Out? (#618)
- Genetically Modified Corn Proves Disastrous for Farmers (#617)