The Downside of Explosive Economic Growth In Asia (#309)
Asia's evolving cities - Hanoi in Vietnam - They are growing at breakneck speed and are hotbeds of productivity and creativity. For decades, cities like Singapore, Shanghai and Hong Kong have been in a constant state of modernization. We begin in the capital of Vietnam, Hanoi. The Vietnamese capital demonstrates what can get forgotten in the process. It is choking in traffic and is overrun by tourists. Many residents can no longer afford to live in the old parts of the city and are moving out to overspill areas. We also pay a visit to Songdo in South Korea.
Managed by computer - Songdo City in Korea - South Korea is building a new city. Songdo City will have its own central computer network to manage all aspects of life. Located 65 kilometers west of the capital Seoul on six square kilometers of reclaimed land, it will be complete in 2020.
Progress in Peru - Hydroelectric power for remote villages - Peru has been hit hard by climate change. It has seen natural disasters, damage to agriculture and water shortages. In the last 25 years glaciers in the Andes have shrunk by a quarter. And that is having a dramatic impact on water supplies. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Fans Instead of Fish In Fiji (#550)
- Cuba: Fee to Travel Freedom (#549)
- Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Farming Salmon Contaminating Ecosystems (#547)
- New View of Mapping The World (#546)
- Clicking Clients' Likes for Cash (#545)
- Recycling Trash Into An Orchestra (#544)
- Huge Reservoir Discovered In African Desert (#543)
- Preserving A Piece of Paradise (#542)
- Preserving A Little Piece of Paradise (#541)
- Tackling The Taliban with a TV Heroine (#540)
- Saving Lives Before The Ambulance Arrives (#539)
- Fire Fighting Climate Change In Brazil (#538)
- Is There Still Time to Save The Habitats of Millions of African Animals? (#537)
- Stimulants: Medications Used to Improve Performance (#536)
- The Rush to Save The Habitat of Millions of Africa Animals (#535)
- Real estate improvements pushing the poor out of Rio (#534)
- Episode #533
- Episode #532
- Turning Autism Into Vocational Jobs (#531)