Seeing Better: A Social Entrepreneur in South Africa Almost of 700 million people in developing countries are blind or have bad vision. Many of them can't afford an optometrist. For many years, Kovin Naidoo has been trying to help them.
Census in India: An Identity for the Poor A census sets a society's statistical parameters, and the data collected serve as the basis for political and administrative measures. But is it really possible to count everyone, so that everyone counts? How can homeless people, for example, prove to authorities that they exist?
Global Snack: Pie from New Zealand We visited "The Fridge" in downtown Auckland, New Zealand. It's famous for pie - a New Zealand specialty.
The Amazon: Protecting the Rain Forests Deforestation of the Amazon region is responsible for almost half of carbon emissions in Brazil. Agriculture, road works and settlements are increasingly threatening the rain forests. To halt this sad development, activists want large parts of the region to be declared nature sanctuaries. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
Fans Instead of Fish In Fiji (#550)
Climate Conference in the Shadow of the Super Typhoon - Heat waves, hurricanes and floods - natural disasters and weather phenomena are repeatedly causing immense damage. The UN Climate Conference... [26 minutes]
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Cuba: Fee to Travel Freedom (#549)
- Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Farming Salmon Contaminating Ecosystems (#547)
- New View of Mapping The World (#546)
- Clicking Clients' Likes for Cash (#545)
- Recycling Trash Into An Orchestra (#544)
- Huge Reservoir Discovered In African Desert (#543)
- Preserving A Piece of Paradise (#542)
- Preserving A Little Piece of Paradise (#541)
- Tackling The Taliban with a TV Heroine (#540)
- Saving Lives Before The Ambulance Arrives (#539)
- Fire Fighting Climate Change In Brazil (#538)
- Is There Still Time to Save The Habitats of Millions of African Animals? (#537)
- Stimulants: Medications Used to Improve Performance (#536)
- The Rush to Save The Habitat of Millions of Africa Animals (#535)
- Real estate improvements pushing the poor out of Rio (#534)
- Episode #533
- Episode #532
- Turning Autism Into Vocational Jobs (#531)