How High Gold Prices Ruin The Rain Forests (#337)
Peru: Gold Destroys Rain Forests - Over the past twelve months, gold's value has increased by 45 percent. Gold is a booming business. Each year, about 2500 tons are mined, often causing tremendous environmental damage, for example in Peru.
Indonesia: Pumping Oil - Oil has been extracted in Indonesia for more than a century, usually in small amounts. The people of the island of Java earned money that way. Now the oil companies are moving in. A billion-dollar state investment program aims at exploiting the nation's large oil and gas reserves more efficiently.
Global Snack Serbia - In Serbia, no meal is without meat. The popular ground pork patty is called pleskavica. We visit a famous snack bar in Belgrade that serves 2,000 of them every day.
Energy from the Sea in Northern Ireland - When we see huge solar power plants and offshore windmills being built, it's easy to forget how long it took before big energy companies were willing to invest in this technology. Advocates of tidal energy now face a similar problem.
Toupet from the Temple -- How hair from India ends up on German heads - Angelina Jolie, Christina Aguilera, and many other celebrities enhance their hairdos with other people's hair. And millions of women imitate them. More volume, longer hair, and more glamor thanks to hair extensions, which are strands of real hair. The "raw material" usually comes from India - and is a global mega-business. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Sat, August 30, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- The Pacific Atlantis: Disappearing Island (#627)
- Episode #626
- Protesting Pesticides In Hawaii (#625)
- Flashing Away Lions from Livestock (#624)
- China's Fast Track to Us Citizenship (#623)
- Pioneer In Climate Change: Costa Rica (#620)
- Lion Protection Program (#622)
- Saving Hundreds of Rare Bird Species (#621)
- Saving Przewalski Horses from Extinction (#619)
- Keystone Xl Pipeline: In Or Out? (#618)
- Genetically Modified Corn Proves Disastrous for Farmers (#617)
- Episode #616
- Lion Fish Ruining Barrier Reefs (#615)
- Iran's New Era: Unblocking Freedom of Expression (#614)
- Syria: Kurdish Women Soldiers Against Jihadists (#613)
- Empowering Women for Success (#612)
- California Drought: Fields Turning Into Deserts (#611)
- Canada: Oil Boom Consequences (#610)
- Brazil: 2nd Largest In Internet Media (#607)
- Eu Covert Operation: Let In Banned USA Food? (#609)