China's Boom - A Formula for Environmental Disaster? (#342)
China's Climate - Growing economic prosperity is having massive consequences for the environment and climate protection. Electro-mobility could be a solution to many problems.
Namibia - The Fight for Jobs - No income and no social security. Day laborers in Windhoek wait on the roadside for work. The organization "Men on the side of the road" seeks to get them jobs, at least for the time being.
Francesco Piazessi from Mexico Builds Sustainable Homes for the Poor - The initiative "Echale a tu casa" (Build Your House) has already built more than 26,000 homes in Mexico. The homes are for the poorest of poor. Francesco Piazessi and his team work mainly in rural and structurally underdeveloped regions, erecting homes for those who would otherwise live in the simplest metal or wooden huts.
Mongolia - Mobile Kindergarten - Many Mongolian nomad children have never seen a kindergarten. Depending on the season, their parents travel long distances to and from remote grazing land. The children seldom have contact with other kids their own age. Now mobile kindergartens are trying to make a difference. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Tue, May 28, 1:30 AM on IPTV
- Tue, June 4, 1:30 AM on IPTV
- Tue, June 11, 1:30 AM on IPTV
- Tue, June 18, 1:30 AM on IPTV
- Tue, June 25, 1:30 AM on IPTV
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- New York's Ambassadors On Wheels (#520)
- The Medellin Losing Its Hold On Colombia (#519)
- E-Books A Success in the Third World (#518)
- Modern Slavery In Singapore (#517)
- E-Readers Arrive in the 3rd World (#516)
- China's Toxic Fog (#515)
- Plastic Bottles Go Sola (#514)
- South Africa - Not Quite Yet A Rainbow Nation (#513)
- A Catholic Clash over Contraceptives in the Philippines (#512)
- China's Great Challenge: An Aging Population (#511)
- A Kenyan Dancer Overcomes Polio (#510)
- A Dirty Business - Drugs In South African Townships (#509)
- Vegetables from the Slums (#508)
- Fighting Obesity In Mexico (#507)
- Episode #506
- Environmental Crises in the Garden of Eden (#505)
- Episode #504
- The Scavenger Children of the Philippines (#503)
- Episode #502
- Episode #501
- Generating Seoul Power from 12,000 Tons of Trash A Day (#452)