Working Women of the Palestinian Territories (#343)
H&M in Asia - Germany is one of H&M's biggest markets. The store has 400 branches here - more than any other country in the H&M world. Now the first shop has been opened in Asia in Singapore.
Climate in Germany - A village in Germany's Allgau region, Wildpoldsried, is writing climate conservation history. A series of awards, including for example, the "Climate Protection Community of 2009" demonstrate this, and there is good reason for that. The community of 2,500 residents produces three times the amount of energy it consumes and does it using renewable resources.
Working Women in the Palestinian Territories - Women still fall victim to discrimination and are disadvantaged in many parts of the world. The organization "UN WOMEN" is aimed at giving them more focused support than in the past. They are also fostering the continuation of projects that have already been successful.
Biodegradable Herbicides and Pesticides - Some pesticides are based on nerve toxins that can be deadly to people and animals as well. It is estimated that some 2.5 million tons of them are applied annually worldwide. They are used on banana plantations to kill nematode worms that destroy the banana plants. But these chemicals pose a threat to the health of the people who work on the plantations. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
Tunisia: Jellyfish Scourge in the Mediterranean - Tunisia's coastline is under threat from an influx of jellyfish. The creatures arrive in the water tanks of large merchant ships and present... [26 minutes]
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Mediterranean Jellyfish Scourge (#716)
- Easter Island Mystique (#715)
- USA: Policing The Police (#714)
- Syrian Refugees' Flight (#713)
- USA: Dramatic Rise In Homeless Children (#712)
- Chinese canal construction-destroying Nicaragua's water supply? (#711)
- Booming to Burst-China's Real Estate Market (#710)
- Cuba & Us: Best Class Enemies (#709)
- Aid Barely Aiding The Poor (#708)
- Boko Haram: Terrorism In Africa (#707)
- Dark Side of Finances (#706)
- Cuban Doctors - Slave Labor In Brazil? (#705)
- Children In Crisis - Getting A Second Chance (#704)
- Sell Or Stay? Robbing Paraguay's Indigenous People (#703)
- Myth of the Monarch Butterfly (#702)
- Saving Elephants from Extinction (#701)
- Orangutans' Shrinking Ecosystem (#652)
- Soy Instead of Steak? (#651)
- Curse of Tin and Technology (#650)
- Over One Million Syrian Refugees Struggling in Lebanon (#649)
- USA: California Drought Turns Desperate (#648)