Population Growth Still Explosive (#344)
Africa on the Move - Tunisian Rap in Times of Revolution - In December of 2010 one of Tunisia's best-known rappers, Hamada Ben-Amor, was detained for days for recording a song critical of the government.
Global Number: Population Growth - The United Nations now believes the world's population is increasing more rapidly than previously thought. It estimates there will be 9.3 billion people on the planet by 2050.
Vietnam - Child Mortality - Many of the people of Vietnam's mountainous regions still live as they have for decades. Few profit from advances in modern medicine. As a result, the number of young mothers who die during childbirth is 10 times higher here than in the rest of the country.
Climate Change: Bosnia and Herzegovina - Hydroelectric power is Bosnia's biggest export and has been for decades. However many power plants and distribution networks were destroyed during the Bosnian War. Now the German development bank KfW is financing the restoration of the Rama and Trebinje hydroelectric plants. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
Children in the Workforce (#548)
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Farming Salmon Contaminating Ecosystems (#547)
- New View of Mapping The World (#546)
- Clicking Clients' Likes for Cash (#545)
- Recycling Trash Into An Orchestra (#544)
- Huge Reservoir Discovered In African Desert (#543)
- Preserving A Piece of Paradise (#542)
- Preserving A Little Piece of Paradise (#541)
- Tackling The Taliban with a TV Heroine (#540)
- Saving Lives Before The Ambulance Arrives (#539)
- Fire Fighting Climate Change In Brazil (#538)
- Is There Still Time to Save The Habitats of Millions of African Animals? (#537)
- Stimulants: Medications Used to Improve Performance (#536)
- The Rush to Save The Habitat of Millions of Africa Animals (#535)
- Real estate improvements pushing the poor out of Rio (#534)
- Episode #533
- Episode #532
- Turning Autism Into Vocational Jobs (#531)