Population Growth Still Explosive (#344)
Africa on the Move - Tunisian Rap in Times of Revolution - In December of 2010 one of Tunisia's best-known rappers, Hamada Ben-Amor, was detained for days for recording a song critical of the government.
Global Number: Population Growth - The United Nations now believes the world's population is increasing more rapidly than previously thought. It estimates there will be 9.3 billion people on the planet by 2050.
Vietnam - Child Mortality - Many of the people of Vietnam's mountainous regions still live as they have for decades. Few profit from advances in modern medicine. As a result, the number of young mothers who die during childbirth is 10 times higher here than in the rest of the country.
Climate Change: Bosnia and Herzegovina - Hydroelectric power is Bosnia's biggest export and has been for decades. However many power plants and distribution networks were destroyed during the Bosnian War. Now the German development bank KfW is financing the restoration of the Rama and Trebinje hydroelectric plants. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
Texas - The New Oil Boom - Soon the US will swimming in oil - at least, that's the way it looks to some people. More than 100 years after the first oil boom in Texas, people are pinning their... [26 minutes]
- Tue, May 28, 1:30 AM on IPTV
- Tue, June 4, 1:30 AM on IPTV
- Tue, June 11, 1:30 AM on IPTV
- Tue, June 18, 1:30 AM on IPTV
- Tue, June 25, 1:30 AM on IPTV
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- New York's Ambassadors On Wheels (#520)
- The Medellin Losing Its Hold On Colombia (#519)
- E-Books A Success in the Third World (#518)
- Modern Slavery In Singapore (#517)
- E-Readers Arrive in the 3rd World (#516)
- China's Toxic Fog (#515)
- Plastic Bottles Go Sola (#514)
- South Africa - Not Quite Yet A Rainbow Nation (#513)
- A Catholic Clash over Contraceptives in the Philippines (#512)
- China's Great Challenge: An Aging Population (#511)
- A Kenyan Dancer Overcomes Polio (#510)
- A Dirty Business - Drugs In South African Townships (#509)
- Vegetables from the Slums (#508)
- Fighting Obesity In Mexico (#507)
- Episode #506
- Environmental Crises in the Garden of Eden (#505)
- Episode #504
- The Scavenger Children of the Philippines (#503)
- Episode #502
- Episode #501
- Generating Seoul Power from 12,000 Tons of Trash A Day (#452)