Combating Violence Against Women In Bolivia (#345)
Turkey - Wind power - The Turkish economy is growing fast, and that means electricity consumption is rising and is in increasingly short supply. Turkey wants to boost the share of power generated by the wind to help solve the problem. The first wind farm in the country went into operation in 2007, on the Gallipoli peninsula.
Bolivia - Combating violence against women - Violence against women is a worldwide problem. In Bolivia, the poorest country in Latin America, it is particularly widespread.
Germany - The country's first carbon-neutral brewery - Gottfried Harle runs the first eco-friendly brewery in Germany. At first, people laughed at him.
Japan - The Yakuza and the cleanup - The earthquake and tsunami in March devastated a large part of north-eastern Japan. The meltdown at Fukushima made things all the worse. The cleanup operation is still in full swing. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Sat, January 31, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Curse of Tin and Technology (#650)
- Over One Million Syrian Refugees Struggling in Lebanon (#649)
- USA: California Drought Turns Desperate (#648)
- Private Protected Bird Reserve in Colombia (#647)
- USA Sinkholes: Silent Threat from Below (#646)
- China's Female Shortage: Stealing Girls for Wives (#645)
- Biodiversity: Threats from Overfishing and Invasive Species (#644)
- Ebola: An Epidemic Heightened By Poverty (#643)
- Peru's Biodiversity: from the Andes Into The Amazon (#642)
- Peru's Biodiversity: from the Andes Into The Amazon (#641)
- Saving The Few Snow Leopards Left (#640)
- Tuna: Overfishing to Extinction? (#639)
- Living As A Castaway and Loving It (#638)
- Asian Immigrants - Becoming A Majority In USA Society (#637)
- Episode #636
- Lion Fish Invasion: Invasive Change In Biodiversity (#635)
- Oceans of Garbage (#634)
- Episode #633
- Lotus Silk: The World's Most Precious Material (#632)
- Clearing The Air In Mexico City (#631)