Combating Violence Against Women In Bolivia (#345)
Turkey - Wind power - The Turkish economy is growing fast, and that means electricity consumption is rising and is in increasingly short supply. Turkey wants to boost the share of power generated by the wind to help solve the problem. The first wind farm in the country went into operation in 2007, on the Gallipoli peninsula.
Bolivia - Combating violence against women - Violence against women is a worldwide problem. In Bolivia, the poorest country in Latin America, it is particularly widespread.
Germany - The country's first carbon-neutral brewery - Gottfried Harle runs the first eco-friendly brewery in Germany. At first, people laughed at him.
Japan - The Yakuza and the cleanup - The earthquake and tsunami in March devastated a large part of north-eastern Japan. The meltdown at Fukushima made things all the worse. The cleanup operation is still in full swing. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Sat, December 7, 8:30 AM on IPTV World
Cuba: Fee to Travel Freedom (#549)
Cuba: New Travel Freedoms - with Restrictions - Nine months after Cuba granted citizens the right to travel, the lines outside foreign embassies haven't gotten any shorter. People are eager for... [26 minutes]
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Farming Salmon Contaminating Ecosystems (#547)
- New View of Mapping The World (#546)
- Clicking Clients' Likes for Cash (#545)
- Recycling Trash Into An Orchestra (#544)
- Huge Reservoir Discovered In African Desert (#543)
- Preserving A Piece of Paradise (#542)
- Preserving A Little Piece of Paradise (#541)
- Tackling The Taliban with a TV Heroine (#540)
- Saving Lives Before The Ambulance Arrives (#539)
- Fire Fighting Climate Change In Brazil (#538)
- Is There Still Time to Save The Habitats of Millions of African Animals? (#537)
- Stimulants: Medications Used to Improve Performance (#536)
- The Rush to Save The Habitat of Millions of Africa Animals (#535)
- Real estate improvements pushing the poor out of Rio (#534)
- Episode #533
- Episode #532
- Turning Autism Into Vocational Jobs (#531)