Egypt - The Long and Winding Road to Worker's Rights (#346)
Tanzania - The Fishing Industry - Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa and the third largest in the world. It provides over 30 million people in Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya with a livelihood.
Climate - Rain Forest Protection in Guatemala - Maize and cattle farming, illegal logging and illegal settlements are all contributing to the destruction of the Sierra del Lacandon national park's rainforest.
Egypt - The Long and Winding Road to Worker's Rights - The international Labor Organization (ILO) puts Egypt among the world's 25 countries with the worst workers' rights records. Under Mubarak, the trade union federation was state-controlled.
Sweden - Algae as Energy - The beaches of Trelleborg in southern Sweden are awash with algae. But the bane of tourists is a boon for environmentalists. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Shady Dealings with USA Student Loans (#721)
- African North Korea: A Sealed-Off Country (#720)
- Usable Land & Soil Erosion: They Aren't Making any More of It! (#719)
- Hardship of India's Tea Pickers (#718)
- Castoff Clothing Into Designer Wear (#717)
- Mediterranean Jellyfish Scourge (#716)
- Easter Island Mystique (#715)
- USA: Policing The Police (#714)
- Syrian Refugees' Flight (#713)
- USA: Dramatic Rise In Homeless Children (#712)
- Chinese canal construction-destroying Nicaragua's water supply? (#711)
- Booming to Burst-China's Real Estate Market (#710)
- Cuba & Us: Best Class Enemies (#709)
- Aid Barely Aiding The Poor (#708)
- Boko Haram: Terrorism In Africa (#707)
- Dark Side of Finances (#706)
- Cuban Doctors - Slave Labor In Brazil? (#705)
- Children In Crisis - Getting A Second Chance (#704)
- Sell Or Stay? Robbing Paraguay's Indigenous People (#703)
- Myth of the Monarch Butterfly (#702)
- Saving Elephants from Extinction (#701)