Can Russia build an olympic city without destroying the environment (#348)
An Unscrupulous Business, The Global Trade in Food - While banks do not directly trade in food, they encourage their clients to speculate on rising prices. The result is booming profits, while driving up prices for staples to more than double their levels in 2003.
Mozambique, A Country For Sale - Africa is currently seeing a battle over fertile soil. International investors promise that their money will bring development. Over 30 million hectares of land on the continent are said to have already been leased or sold to foreign companies.
Pakistan, The Model Village - Almost two thirds of the population in Pakistan live in rural areas, with around 80 percent of them on or below the poverty line. It's ideal recruiting ground for the Taliban and their "holy war".
Climate: Sochi, Russia - Construction work continues apace in Sochi by the Black Sea for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Russian government is promising high environmental standards. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Mayan Descendants Saving Their Forest (#727)
- Haiti: Sinking and Stinking In Trash (#726)
- Refugees In USA Spur Urban Renewal (#725)
- Protecting Peru's Precious Rainforests (#724)
- Slum Tourism Is Booming (#723)
- Nepal: Daunting Challenges of Earthquake Aftermath (#722)
- Shady Dealings with USA Student Loans (#721)
- African North Korea: A Sealed-Off Country (#720)
- Usable Land & Soil Erosion: They Aren't Making any More of It! (#719)
- Hardship of India's Tea Pickers (#718)
- Castoff Clothing Into Designer Wear (#717)
- Mediterranean Jellyfish Scourge (#716)
- Easter Island Mystique (#715)
- USA: Policing The Police (#714)
- Syrian Refugees' Flight (#713)
- USA: Dramatic Rise In Homeless Children (#712)
- Chinese canal construction-destroying Nicaragua's water supply? (#711)
- Booming to Burst-China's Real Estate Market (#710)
- Cuba & Us: Best Class Enemies (#709)