Can Russia build an olympic city without destroying the environment (#348)
An Unscrupulous Business, The Global Trade in Food - While banks do not directly trade in food, they encourage their clients to speculate on rising prices. The result is booming profits, while driving up prices for staples to more than double their levels in 2003.
Mozambique, A Country For Sale - Africa is currently seeing a battle over fertile soil. International investors promise that their money will bring development. Over 30 million hectares of land on the continent are said to have already been leased or sold to foreign companies.
Pakistan, The Model Village - Almost two thirds of the population in Pakistan live in rural areas, with around 80 percent of them on or below the poverty line. It's ideal recruiting ground for the Taliban and their "holy war".
Climate: Sochi, Russia - Construction work continues apace in Sochi by the Black Sea for the 2014 Winter Olympics. The Russian government is promising high environmental standards. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
Oceans of Garbage (#634)
How climate-damaging are plastic bags? - Everywhere in the world shopping almost automatically ends up in plastic bags. The bags are light, tear-resistant and often free of charge. But how much do... [26 minutes]
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Episode #633
- Lotus Silk: The World's Most Precious Material (#632)
- Clearing The Air In Mexico City (#631)
- Future of Energy Storage for Europe Lies In Norway (#630)
- Wikipedia: Manipulating of Information (#629)
- Drowning Culture with Dams In Turkey (#628)
- The Pacific Atlantis: Disappearing Island (#627)
- Episode #626
- Protesting Pesticides In Hawaii (#625)
- Flashing Away Lions from Livestock (#624)
- China's Fast Track to Us Citizenship (#623)
- Pioneer In Climate Change: Costa Rica (#620)
- Lion Protection Program (#622)
- Saving Hundreds of Rare Bird Species (#621)
- Saving Przewalski Horses from Extinction (#619)
- Keystone Xl Pipeline: In Or Out? (#618)
- Genetically Modified Corn Proves Disastrous for Farmers (#617)
- Episode #616
- Lion Fish Ruining Barrier Reefs (#615)
- Iran's New Era: Unblocking Freedom of Expression (#614)
- Syria: Kurdish Women Soldiers Against Jihadists (#613)