The Status of Women Shifting In Some Surprising Places (#350)
Indonesia: Geothermal Energy from Sumatra's Volcanoes - For the past four centuries, Indonesia has been home to 106 active volcanoes, and 30 of them are located on the island of Sumatra. Indonesia has been looking to boost its production of geothermal energy in recent years.
Afghanistan: Soap Opera Actress Stands up for Women's Rights - Abeda is a TV actress in Afghanistan, where she's seen as a source of hope for the millions of viewers who tune in to her show.
Malawi: A Way out of Poverty - More Property Rights for Women - In many traditional societies in Africa, women are barred from being landowners. Without that right, they are denied a critical resource for making a living.
Climate Peru - More Water for the Capital Lima - Lima sees very little rain - with less than one centimeter of precipitation every year, the city of eight million is dependent on glacial runoff from the Andes. Meanwhile, the glaciers are melting, while Lima continues to grow. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Episode #748
- Services On Demand (#747)
- Illegal Industry: Electrical Waste Disposal Polluting Environment (#746)
- Ancient Inca Knowledge & Water Adaptation (#745)
- Conservation Between Caribbean Islands (#744)
- Saola: Mysterious Animal Disappearing (#743)
- Torturous Tomato Farming In Italy (#742)
- Poverty Healthcare: Mobile Clinics in the USA (#741)
- Vanishing Vultures: Valuable Scavengers (#740)
- UN Millennium Project Challenges (#739)
- Health Teams Risk Their Lives to Save Lives (#738)
- Illegal Mineral Trade (#737)
- Booming Business of Slum Tourism (#736)
- Big Business of Opium (#735)
- Lifeline of Water (#734)
- Saving The Cape Parrot from Extinction (#733)
- Worldwide Waste: Food We Dump (#732)
- Failed State of South Sudan (#731)
- Cannabis: USA Big Business (#730)
- Baghdad: Music Against Terror (#729)
- Scary Scars: Brazil's Domestic Violence (#728)
- Mayan Descendants Saving Their Forest (#727)