The Status of Women Shifting In Some Surprising Places (#350)
Indonesia: Geothermal Energy from Sumatra's Volcanoes - For the past four centuries, Indonesia has been home to 106 active volcanoes, and 30 of them are located on the island of Sumatra. Indonesia has been looking to boost its production of geothermal energy in recent years.
Afghanistan: Soap Opera Actress Stands up for Women's Rights - Abeda is a TV actress in Afghanistan, where she's seen as a source of hope for the millions of viewers who tune in to her show.
Malawi: A Way out of Poverty - More Property Rights for Women - In many traditional societies in Africa, women are barred from being landowners. Without that right, they are denied a critical resource for making a living.
Climate Peru - More Water for the Capital Lima - Lima sees very little rain - with less than one centimeter of precipitation every year, the city of eight million is dependent on glacial runoff from the Andes. Meanwhile, the glaciers are melting, while Lima continues to grow. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
Tunisia: Jellyfish Scourge in the Mediterranean - Tunisia's coastline is under threat from an influx of jellyfish. The creatures arrive in the water tanks of large merchant ships and present... [26 minutes]
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Mediterranean Jellyfish Scourge (#716)
- Easter Island Mystique (#715)
- USA: Policing The Police (#714)
- Syrian Refugees' Flight (#713)
- USA: Dramatic Rise In Homeless Children (#712)
- Chinese canal construction-destroying Nicaragua's water supply? (#711)
- Booming to Burst-China's Real Estate Market (#710)
- Cuba & Us: Best Class Enemies (#709)
- Aid Barely Aiding The Poor (#708)
- Boko Haram: Terrorism In Africa (#707)
- Dark Side of Finances (#706)
- Cuban Doctors - Slave Labor In Brazil? (#705)
- Children In Crisis - Getting A Second Chance (#704)
- Sell Or Stay? Robbing Paraguay's Indigenous People (#703)
- Myth of the Monarch Butterfly (#702)
- Saving Elephants from Extinction (#701)
- Orangutans' Shrinking Ecosystem (#652)
- Soy Instead of Steak? (#651)
- Curse of Tin and Technology (#650)
- Over One Million Syrian Refugees Struggling in Lebanon (#649)
- USA: California Drought Turns Desperate (#648)