The Status of Women Shifting In Some Surprising Places (#350)
Indonesia: Geothermal Energy from Sumatra's Volcanoes - For the past four centuries, Indonesia has been home to 106 active volcanoes, and 30 of them are located on the island of Sumatra. Indonesia has been looking to boost its production of geothermal energy in recent years.
Afghanistan: Soap Opera Actress Stands up for Women's Rights - Abeda is a TV actress in Afghanistan, where she's seen as a source of hope for the millions of viewers who tune in to her show.
Malawi: A Way out of Poverty - More Property Rights for Women - In many traditional societies in Africa, women are barred from being landowners. Without that right, they are denied a critical resource for making a living.
Climate Peru - More Water for the Capital Lima - Lima sees very little rain - with less than one centimeter of precipitation every year, the city of eight million is dependent on glacial runoff from the Andes. Meanwhile, the glaciers are melting, while Lima continues to grow. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Sat, December 7, 8:30 AM on IPTV World
Cuba: Fee to Travel Freedom (#549)
Cuba: New Travel Freedoms - with Restrictions - Nine months after Cuba granted citizens the right to travel, the lines outside foreign embassies haven't gotten any shorter. People are eager for... [26 minutes]
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Children in the Workforce (#548)
- Farming Salmon Contaminating Ecosystems (#547)
- New View of Mapping The World (#546)
- Clicking Clients' Likes for Cash (#545)
- Recycling Trash Into An Orchestra (#544)
- Huge Reservoir Discovered In African Desert (#543)
- Preserving A Piece of Paradise (#542)
- Preserving A Little Piece of Paradise (#541)
- Tackling The Taliban with a TV Heroine (#540)
- Saving Lives Before The Ambulance Arrives (#539)
- Fire Fighting Climate Change In Brazil (#538)
- Is There Still Time to Save The Habitats of Millions of African Animals? (#537)
- Stimulants: Medications Used to Improve Performance (#536)
- The Rush to Save The Habitat of Millions of Africa Animals (#535)
- Real estate improvements pushing the poor out of Rio (#534)
- Episode #533
- Episode #532
- Turning Autism Into Vocational Jobs (#531)