The Status of Women Shifting In Some Surprising Places (#350)
Indonesia: Geothermal Energy from Sumatra's Volcanoes - For the past four centuries, Indonesia has been home to 106 active volcanoes, and 30 of them are located on the island of Sumatra. Indonesia has been looking to boost its production of geothermal energy in recent years.
Afghanistan: Soap Opera Actress Stands up for Women's Rights - Abeda is a TV actress in Afghanistan, where she's seen as a source of hope for the millions of viewers who tune in to her show.
Malawi: A Way out of Poverty - More Property Rights for Women - In many traditional societies in Africa, women are barred from being landowners. Without that right, they are denied a critical resource for making a living.
Climate Peru - More Water for the Capital Lima - Lima sees very little rain - with less than one centimeter of precipitation every year, the city of eight million is dependent on glacial runoff from the Andes. Meanwhile, the glaciers are melting, while Lima continues to grow. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
USA: Social Entrepreneur - Equal Opportunity for All - From an early age it bothered Richard Barth that in the US children from low-income families had little chance of getting a good education... [26 minutes]
- Sat, January 31, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Orangutans' Shrinking Ecosystem (#652)
- Soy Instead of Steak? (#651)
- Curse of Tin and Technology (#650)
- Over One Million Syrian Refugees Struggling in Lebanon (#649)
- USA: California Drought Turns Desperate (#648)
- Private Protected Bird Reserve in Colombia (#647)
- USA Sinkholes: Silent Threat from Below (#646)
- China's Female Shortage: Stealing Girls for Wives (#645)
- Biodiversity: Threats from Overfishing and Invasive Species (#644)
- Ebola: An Epidemic Heightened By Poverty (#643)
- Peru's Biodiversity: from the Andes Into The Amazon (#642)
- Peru's Biodiversity: from the Andes Into The Amazon (#641)
- Saving The Few Snow Leopards Left (#640)
- Tuna: Overfishing to Extinction? (#639)
- Living As A Castaway and Loving It (#638)
- Asian Immigrants - Becoming A Majority In USA Society (#637)
- Episode #636
- Lion Fish Invasion: Invasive Change In Biodiversity (#635)
- Oceans of Garbage (#634)
- Episode #633
- Lotus Silk: The World's Most Precious Material (#632)
- Clearing The Air In Mexico City (#631)