Growing Food Stack By Stack (#351)
Vertical Farming - How Cities of the Future Can Feed Themselves -Population growth has led to increased demand for vegetables and fruit and ever rising prices. Additional cropland is needed to make sure everyone on the planet can be fed.
Africa on the Move: Morocco - Rehabilitating Young People - One-tenth of Morocco's prison population is made up of children and teenagers who are often convicted and sentenced without any legal representation. Now steps are being taken to help these young people.
Social Entrepreneur Zoran Puljic: Creating Jobs in Bosnia-Herzegovina - Zoran Puljic has invested 2.5 million Euros in the creation of new jobs in the economically depressed city of Sekovici in the Serb part of Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Climate India - Energy Efficiency for Industrial Production - India's economy is growing faster than ever before. But economic growth also means increased energy use and CO2 emissions. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Cuban Doctors - Slave Labor In Brazil? (#705)
- Children In Crisis - Getting A Second Chance (#704)
- Sell Or Stay? Robbing Paraguay's Indigenous People (#703)
- Myth of the Monarch Butterfly (#702)
- Saving Elephants from Extinction (#701)
- Orangutans' Shrinking Ecosystem (#652)
- Soy Instead of Steak? (#651)
- Curse of Tin and Technology (#650)
- Over One Million Syrian Refugees Struggling in Lebanon (#649)
- USA: California Drought Turns Desperate (#648)
- Private Protected Bird Reserve in Colombia (#647)
- USA Sinkholes: Silent Threat from Below (#646)
- China's Female Shortage: Stealing Girls for Wives (#645)
- Biodiversity: Threats from Overfishing and Invasive Species (#644)
- Ebola: An Epidemic Heightened By Poverty (#643)
- Peru's Biodiversity: from the Andes Into The Amazon (#642)
- Peru's Biodiversity: from the Andes Into The Amazon (#641)
- Saving The Few Snow Leopards Left (#640)