A Survey of Global Charity (#352)
Colombia: The Drug Mafia's Submarines - Colombia, Peru and Bolivia are still among the biggest producers of drugs worldwide. The countries grow huge quantities of cocaine to be sold on the European and American markets.
Global Number: Charity - Doing good comes in many forms, whether it's making donations, offering free tutoring or helping an elderly person cross the street.
Social Engagement in Russia - Julia Titova wants to promote social engagement in Russia, and to do that, she opened the first charity shop in St. Petersburg almost a year ago.
Climate: Rwanda, Gorillas in Virunga National Park - The mountain gorillas of Rwanda are a major tourist attraction - but climate change is threatening to upend their habitat in the Virunga mountains. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Tue, June 25, 1:30 AM on IPTV
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- What Ever Happened to the Ozone Hole? (#524)
- Poor and Hiv Positive In Louisiana (#523)
- A Drought Resistant Crop Raises Hopes for Fighting Famine (#522)
- Is America's Current Oil Boom Real (#521)
- New York's Ambassadors On Wheels (#520)
- The Medellin Losing Its Hold On Colombia (#519)
- E-Books A Success in the Third World (#518)
- Modern Slavery In Singapore (#517)
- E-Readers Arrive in the 3rd World (#516)
- China's Toxic Fog (#515)
- Plastic Bottles Go Sola (#514)
- South Africa - Not Quite Yet A Rainbow Nation (#513)
- A Catholic Clash over Contraceptives in the Philippines (#512)
- China's Great Challenge: An Aging Population (#511)
- A Kenyan Dancer Overcomes Polio (#510)
- A Dirty Business - Drugs In South African Townships (#509)
- Vegetables from the Slums (#508)
- Fighting Obesity In Mexico (#507)
- Episode #506
- Environmental Crises in the Garden of Eden (#505)