China Has Its Own Housing Bust (#402)
"Blood in the Mobile" - how minerals for cell phones finance civil war in The Congo - A rare metal called tantalum is extracted from coltan ore. Tantalum is widely used in flatscreen TVs, mobile phones and other electronics.
Global Living Rooms: Serbia - Kosta Popovic, a teacher from Belgrade, invites us into his living room.
Laos - Fighting to Save Its Forests - Laos is known as the "land of a million elephants". But the numbers living in the wild have now fallen to about one thousand. As more forests are cut for timber, nature reserves are becoming ever more important for both elephants and the people of Laos.
Ghost Cities - A Legacy of the Chinese Real Estate Bubble - Wealthy Chinese are not permitted to invest abroad. And banks pay little interest. So Chinese investors buy expensive apartments and houses that no one wants - because they're far too pricey. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: Global 3000 is Deutsche Welle's weekly magazine that explores the intersection of global development and the environmental and social conditions of the diverse cultures of the world. In each program, host Michaela Kufner presents three to four video-rich segments that profile a different part of the planet where man's quest for economic and industrial strength is jeopardizing the ecosystems and the social and economic structures of people thousands of miles away. The program not only documents where those struggles are taking place -but how some groups and individuals are finding solutions to the growing problems of global development.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Global 3000 aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Asian Immigrants - Becoming A Majority In USA Society (#637)
- Episode #636
- Lion Fish Invasion: Invasive Change In Biodiversity (#635)
- Oceans of Garbage (#634)
- Episode #633
- Lotus Silk: The World's Most Precious Material (#632)
- Clearing The Air In Mexico City (#631)
- Future of Energy Storage for Europe Lies In Norway (#630)
- Wikipedia: Manipulating of Information (#629)
- Drowning Culture with Dams In Turkey (#628)
- The Pacific Atlantis: Disappearing Island (#627)
- Episode #626
- Protesting Pesticides In Hawaii (#625)
- Flashing Away Lions from Livestock (#624)
- China's Fast Track to Us Citizenship (#623)
- Pioneer In Climate Change: Costa Rica (#620)
- Lion Protection Program (#622)
- Saving Hundreds of Rare Bird Species (#621)
- Saving Przewalski Horses from Extinction (#619)
- Keystone Xl Pipeline: In Or Out? (#618)
- Genetically Modified Corn Proves Disastrous for Farmers (#617)