Ideas In Action with Jim Glassman
Afghan Women: Progress and Peril (#111)
Guests: Former First Lady Laura Bush, U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women's Issues Melanne Verver, The Director General of Unesco, Irina Bokova, Afghan Ambassador Said Jawad.
Jim interviews former First Lady Laura Bush, U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women's Issues Melanne Verveer, The Director General of Unesco, Irina Bokova and Afghan Ambassador Said Jawad regarding the status of women in Afghanistan today and how the U.S. - Afghan Women's Council is helping them gain greater access to education, social rights and economic freedom, education, social rights and economic freedom. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: From the producers of "Think Tank with Ben Wattenburg," Ideas in Action with Jim Glassman is a new half-hour weekly series on ideas and their consequences. Each edition of Ideas in Action presents a discussion of trends, conditions, and ideas behind the week's headlines. In the tradition of the long-running PBS series Think Tank, the program limits itself to one topic per half-hour edition in order to go deeper into a subject than the average TV show. Viewers engage with a diverse group of economists, historians, anthropologists, political scientists, demographers, and social philosophers, as well as authorities from many other disciplines.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Ideas In Action with Jim Glassman aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Automation Nation: Will Robots Take Our Jobs? (#315)
- North Korea: Dissidents' Fight for Freedom (#314)
- Innovation: Is America Suffering An Innovation Gap? (#313)
- Education Special Part 2: Transformational Leaders (#312)
- Ending America's Dropout Crisis Part 1: Middle School Intervention That Works (#251)
- Rich State, Poor State: How Eliminating the Income Tax Helps Grow States' Economies (#249)
- The New Battlefield: Life After War for America's (#309)
- Interview with His Holiness The Dalai Lama (#308)
- Academically Adrift: How College Students and Professors Aren't Making the Grade (#307)
- The Quest: Energy, Security and the Remaking of the Modern World, an Interview with Daniel Yergin (#306)
- How Do You Solve A Problem Like Illegal Immigration? (#240)
- Is Nuclear Energy Dead? (#304)
- Bringing Better Health Care to Women In Africa (#303)
- How To Remember Everything: A Discussion with Author and Memory Champion Josh Foer (#302)
- Afghan Women: Prospects for the Future (#301)
- Rich State Poor State: How Eliminating the Income Tax Helps Grow States' Economies (#320)
- Natural Gas Nation (#319)