Ideas In Action with Jim Glassman
Venezuela: Democracy on the Edge (#206)
Guests: Carlos Ponce, a fellow at the National Endowment for Democracy who served as the secretary of Venezuela's National Human Rights Commission. Mark Weisbrot, an economist and the co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research. He co-wrote Oliver Stone's documentary about Hugo Chavez, "South of the Border." Roger Noriega, former Assistant Secretary of State for the Western Hemisphere.
He currently coordinates the American Enterprise Institute's program on Latin America. He has taken a struggling democracy and slowly consolidated his hold on power, nationalizing key industries such as oil and food distribution. Tyrant, Dictator, Socialist Hero; whatever you call him, Hugo Chavez is committed to keeping a tight rein on his power and those who oppose him. And now he has stated a commitment to developing nuclear capabilities. What do his policies mean for U.S. foreign policy? [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: From the producers of "Think Tank with Ben Wattenburg," Ideas in Action with Jim Glassman is a new half-hour weekly series on ideas and their consequences. Each edition of Ideas in Action presents a discussion of trends, conditions, and ideas behind the week's headlines. In the tradition of the long-running PBS series Think Tank, the program limits itself to one topic per half-hour edition in order to go deeper into a subject than the average TV show. Viewers engage with a diverse group of economists, historians, anthropologists, political scientists, demographers, and social philosophers, as well as authorities from many other disciplines.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Ideas In Action with Jim Glassman aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Automation Nation: Will Robots Take Our Jobs? (#315)
- North Korea: Dissidents' Fight for Freedom (#314)
- Innovation: Is America Suffering An Innovation Gap? (#313)
- Education Special Part 2: Transformational Leaders (#312)
- Ending America's Dropout Crisis Part 1: Middle School Intervention That Works (#251)
- Rich State, Poor State: How Eliminating the Income Tax Helps Grow States' Economies (#249)
- The New Battlefield: Life After War for America's (#309)
- Interview with His Holiness The Dalai Lama (#308)
- Academically Adrift: How College Students and Professors Aren't Making the Grade (#307)
- The Quest: Energy, Security and the Remaking of the Modern World, an Interview with Daniel Yergin (#306)
- How Do You Solve A Problem Like Illegal Immigration? (#240)
- Is Nuclear Energy Dead? (#304)
- Bringing Better Health Care to Women In Africa (#303)
- How To Remember Everything: A Discussion with Author and Memory Champion Josh Foer (#302)
- Afghan Women: Prospects for the Future (#301)
- Rich State Poor State: How Eliminating the Income Tax Helps Grow States' Economies (#320)
- Natural Gas Nation (#319)