Need to Know
JEFF GREENFIELD ANCHORS.
Nearly half a century after the passage of the federal Voting Rights Act, African-Americans throughout the deep south still find themselves with little real power. In a report from South Carolina on the eve of the GOP primary there, anchor Jeff Greenfield describes how the sharp rise in the number of black state lawmakers creates the misimpression of greater black power.
In fact, the state's 70 percent white population now votes overwhelmingly Republican, leaving the state's 30 percent black population, which still leans very heavily Democratic, as part of a permanent political minority. Redistricting also has led to more "majority minority" districts, creating more safe black seats but eroding black power elsewhere in the state.
Greenfield also interviews two of the state's leading political analysts about the GOP presidential primary.
Need to Know's "American Voices" essay features Bernard Lafayette, a prominent civil rights leader from the 1960s who reflects on the struggle for black voting rights then and what he believes are organized efforts to undo them now. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Full Program: Voting, power and South Carolina. 24:43
A 1960s civil rights leader reflects on the struggle for black voting rights. 04:53
Jeff Greenfield speaks with two of the state's leading political analysts. 04:59
In part three of its award-winning series on U.S. immigration policies done in conjunction with the Nation Institute,... 00:40
Even as unemployment remains stubbornly high, millions of jobs remain unfilled because many workers do not have the... 02:08
- Watch more video from this program »
Series Description: NEED TO KNOW is an integrated broadcast and online current affairs project, uniting broadcast and web in an innovative approach to newsgathering and reporting. It breaks through the limitations of the broadcast schedule by means of a web-based production model that empowers audiences to "tune in" anytime and anywhere. A cross-media initiative built around a wide community of journalists and producers, with input from an engaged audience, NEED TO KNOW covers five primary beats: the economy; the environment and energy; health; security; and culture. Stories, interviews, blogs and photo features are continually added to and updated online, with the production teams inviting interaction and input from online readers and users who are on the lookout for the latest information on a given subject. Each week's online story development culminates in the weekly broadcast, curated from the week's reporting by the various beat teams. The broadcast features documentary-style field reports, both domestic and international, short features and studio-based interviews and conversation to complement and advance the produced reports.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.