Commemorating The Katyn Massacre 70 Years (#2810)
Poland: Reconciliation in Katyn - In Poland, Katyn is synonymous with the oppression and terror of the Soviet occupation. In the spring of 1940, the Soviet secret police, the NKVD, murdered almost 15,000 Polish army officers and soldiers. The mass graves were discovered by German soldiers invading from the other direction. The Soviets claimed the Nazis had committed the murders. Not until 1990 did Mikhail Gorbachev admit that the Soviets bore sole responsibility. In April, for the first time ever, the heads of government of Russia and Poland will commemorate the Katyn massacre -- a gesture with great symbolic value, intended to relax the tense relationship between the two countries.
Switzerland: Forced child laborers demand compensation - A dark chapter of Swiss history... until 40 years ago, thousands of children were forced to work on strangers' farms and workshops. They have been waiting for compensation ever since.
Italy: Mayor welcomes refugees - Migrants coming from Libya (AP Photo) Italy doesn't normally welcome refugees arriving by boat. But a mayor in Calabria takes them in with open arms. He wants to keep his village from dying out.
Rumania: Illegal trade in human eggs - In Bucharest, the operators of a clinic are on trial for having made money by trading in human eggs. Their victims were often young Roma women; the clients were well-to-do women from abroad.
Portugal: Miranda donkeys near extinction - Donkeys are no longer of any use in agriculture. They have been replaced by tractors and machines. Now the donkeys of Miranda have a new chance to survive: in tourism. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Sat, December 28, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 2:30 AM on IPTV
- Sun, December 29, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 12:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 12:00 AM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 5:00 AM on IPTV
- Tue, December 31, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 4, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 7, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 11, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 14, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 18, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 21, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 25, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 28, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)
- Europe's Largest Man-Made Nature Reserve (#3143)
- Episode #3142
- Gambling Priests Bankrupt Archdiocese (#3141)
- Unemployment: Waiting for Elders to Retire (#3140)
- Merkel's Greatest Victory (#3139)
- Discovery of a Subterranean Hideout from the Nazis (#3138)
- Gibraltar: Row Over The Rock (#3137)
- Village of thieves: evidence burning of Picasso, Monet and Matisse Artwork (#3136)
- Russia's Controversial Figurehead: From Prison To Moscow Mayor? (#3135)
- Bargain Prices for Castles In Ireland (#3134)
- Episode #3133
- Greece's million refugees are considered undesirables (#3132)
- Air Conditioning for a Glacier (#3131)