Finding Tax Evaders In Greece (#2816)
Greece: Hunting Wealthy Tax Evaders: With Greece's coffers deep in the red, its government is on the hunt for new sources of income. Now Athens has embarked on an ambitious program to find tax evaders. Greek tax investigators are poring through aerial photos on the Internet, searching for luxurious villas with large swimming pools.
Latvia: An Ailing Economy on the Road to Recovery: Two years ago, Latvia was on the brink of bankruptcy. The government obtained loans from the International Monetary Fund and the European Union, and in return had to undertake drastic financial cuts. Now the Latvian economy is on the upswing again.
Spain: A Model for Organ Donation: Spain has an organ donation system has proven very efficient. Now the EU hopes to adopt parts of that system for the rest of the bloc. Physicians in European hospitals often lack the time to discuss organ donation with families of deceased patients. In contrast, every Spanish hospital has a transplant coordinator, who works with families of potential donors.
Germany: Au Revoir to Flocke the Polar Bear: Flocke, the beloved polar bear from Nuremberg's zoo, is moving out. Along with her companion, Rasputin, Flocke is being transferred to an ocean theme park on the Cote d'Azur. Flocke will be sorely missed by the crowds of visitors who have thronged to Nuremberg's zoo to see the polar bear in recent years. The celebrity bear, who was born in December 2007, was raised by hand.
Poland/Ukraine: The 30-Kilometer Zone: A special passport makes it possible for Ukrainians who live near the Polish-Ukrainian border to shop in the nearby parts of Poland. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Episode #3238
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218