Finding Tax Evaders In Greece (#2816)
Greece: Hunting Wealthy Tax Evaders: With Greece's coffers deep in the red, its government is on the hunt for new sources of income. Now Athens has embarked on an ambitious program to find tax evaders. Greek tax investigators are poring through aerial photos on the Internet, searching for luxurious villas with large swimming pools.
Latvia: An Ailing Economy on the Road to Recovery: Two years ago, Latvia was on the brink of bankruptcy. The government obtained loans from the International Monetary Fund and the European Union, and in return had to undertake drastic financial cuts. Now the Latvian economy is on the upswing again.
Spain: A Model for Organ Donation: Spain has an organ donation system has proven very efficient. Now the EU hopes to adopt parts of that system for the rest of the bloc. Physicians in European hospitals often lack the time to discuss organ donation with families of deceased patients. In contrast, every Spanish hospital has a transplant coordinator, who works with families of potential donors.
Germany: Au Revoir to Flocke the Polar Bear: Flocke, the beloved polar bear from Nuremberg's zoo, is moving out. Along with her companion, Rasputin, Flocke is being transferred to an ocean theme park on the Cote d'Azur. Flocke will be sorely missed by the crowds of visitors who have thronged to Nuremberg's zoo to see the polar bear in recent years. The celebrity bear, who was born in December 2007, was raised by hand.
Poland/Ukraine: The 30-Kilometer Zone: A special passport makes it possible for Ukrainians who live near the Polish-Ukrainian border to shop in the nearby parts of Poland. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Sat, December 28, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 2:30 AM on IPTV
- Sun, December 29, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 12:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 12:00 AM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 5:00 AM on IPTV
- Tue, December 31, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 4, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 7, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 11, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 14, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 18, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 21, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 25, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 28, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)
- Europe's Largest Man-Made Nature Reserve (#3143)
- Episode #3142
- Gambling Priests Bankrupt Archdiocese (#3141)
- Unemployment: Waiting for Elders to Retire (#3140)
- Merkel's Greatest Victory (#3139)
- Discovery of a Subterranean Hideout from the Nazis (#3138)
- Gibraltar: Row Over The Rock (#3137)
- Village of thieves: evidence burning of Picasso, Monet and Matisse Artwork (#3136)
- Russia's Controversial Figurehead: From Prison To Moscow Mayor? (#3135)
- Bargain Prices for Castles In Ireland (#3134)
- Episode #3133
- Greece's million refugees are considered undesirables (#3132)
- Air Conditioning for a Glacier (#3131)