Rebelling Against The Rituals of the Catholic Church (#2831)
Poland: Studying for the Army: Since the beginning of 2010 Poland no longer has compulsory military service. Now secondary schools are offering courses in military theory to make the new professional army more popular.
Italy: Collecting Fines to Fill Government Coffers: Feeding pigeons can be expensive in Venice. Building sand castles and eating sandwiches in public squares are forbidden activities in some Italian towns. Local officials are busily collecting fines for such transgressions - especially from tourists.
Village Scenes - Tales of Rural Life in Europe: Erquy, the village where the Gauls really lived.
Spain: Catholics Rebel Against the Church Hierarchy: small parish church in the working-class Madrid neighborhood of Entrevias is famous for defying the city's powerful archbishop. One of the church's left-wing priests, Javier Baeza Atienza said he wanted to continue working with the poor, instead of performing empty rituals.
Germany: Bees for Hire: German beekeepers are now aged an average of 60 years old due to a drop-off in new, young recruits. To make up for the shortfall in personnel, many have resorted to hiring out their hives. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)