Putting Rome's Colesseum Out for Bid (#2838)
Bulgaria: Return of the Faith Healers - When Bulgaria was communist, they were forbidden. Now they are experiencing a boom: faith healers, astrologers, and palm readers. In economically difficult times, many Bulgarians hope for their aid.
Norway: European Union? No Thanks! - In 2004, the EU expanded eastward. In 2007, it admitted Romania and Bulgaria and expects to admit Croatia and Iceland soon. So what's going on with Norway?
Poland: My Grave in Treblinka - Alex Werber of Tel Aviv never wanted to take this trip: to Poland, where much of his family died in Nazi concentration camps. But he couldn't refuse his mother's last wish.
France: Children Instead of Career - In France, the well-established model of the independent woman is beginning to change. More and more young women want to fulfill the traditional role of mother and are abandoning their professional lives.
Italy - Sponsors Sought for the Colosseum - The largest amphitheater of the Ancient World witnessed countless horrific gladiator fights. Now the authorities in Rome are in a fight to secure sponsorship funds for urgently required repair work. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)