Putting Rome's Colesseum Out for Bid (#2838)
Bulgaria: Return of the Faith Healers - When Bulgaria was communist, they were forbidden. Now they are experiencing a boom: faith healers, astrologers, and palm readers. In economically difficult times, many Bulgarians hope for their aid.
Norway: European Union? No Thanks! - In 2004, the EU expanded eastward. In 2007, it admitted Romania and Bulgaria and expects to admit Croatia and Iceland soon. So what's going on with Norway?
Poland: My Grave in Treblinka - Alex Werber of Tel Aviv never wanted to take this trip: to Poland, where much of his family died in Nazi concentration camps. But he couldn't refuse his mother's last wish.
France: Children Instead of Career - In France, the well-established model of the independent woman is beginning to change. More and more young women want to fulfill the traditional role of mother and are abandoning their professional lives.
Italy - Sponsors Sought for the Colosseum - The largest amphitheater of the Ancient World witnessed countless horrific gladiator fights. Now the authorities in Rome are in a fight to secure sponsorship funds for urgently required repair work. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
Turkey: Trials against the State - Crimes committed by the state in the 1990s are only now going to trial in Turkey. Relatives of the victims are hoping for justice. But time is running out: the... [26 minutes]
- Sat, December 7, 12:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 2:30 AM on IPTV
- Sun, December 29, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 12:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 12:00 AM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 5:00 AM on IPTV
- Tue, December 31, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)
- Europe's Largest Man-Made Nature Reserve (#3143)
- Episode #3142
- Gambling Priests Bankrupt Archdiocese (#3141)
- Unemployment: Waiting for Elders to Retire (#3140)
- Merkel's Greatest Victory (#3139)
- Discovery of a Subterranean Hideout from the Nazis (#3138)
- Gibraltar: Row Over The Rock (#3137)
- Village of thieves: evidence burning of Picasso, Monet and Matisse Artwork (#3136)
- Russia's Controversial Figurehead: From Prison To Moscow Mayor? (#3135)
- Bargain Prices for Castles In Ireland (#3134)
- Episode #3133
- Greece's million refugees are considered undesirables (#3132)
- Air Conditioning for a Glacier (#3131)