Hungary in the Aftermath of a Toxic Meltdown (#2839)
France: Multicultural Society Under Fire - The Belleville neighborhood in Paris is known as a place where Chinese, Jewish, Arab and African communities generally live together peacefully. But tensions are on the rise.
Ukraine: A Journalist's Disappearance - Charkow - this is where journalist Wasil Klimentjew disappeared. Life as a journalist in Ukraine is a dangerous one. In August, an editor-in-chief there vanished. His newspaper regularly reported on corruption by Ukrainian officials.
The Czech Republic: Doctors want to Emigrate - Large numbers of doctors and nurses are leaving recent EU members in eastern and central Europe. 2,500 Czech doctors have threatened to quit at the end of the year in a dispute over pay rates.
Gungary: A Toxic Legacy - It's the biggest chemical disaster in Hungary's history: A highly toxic sludge flooded several villages in the country's west. But the full extent of the catastrophe will only emerge once the sludge recedes.
Spain: Comedic Resistance - Leo Bassi is a man who is both feared and targeted by his adversaries. In Spain, he's known as a cabaret artist, because his jokes always have a political angle. That someone dubbed him the "world's most dangerous clown" is something he takes as a compliment. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Us Installing Missiles In Romania (#3239)
- Pope Francis Kicks Mafia Out (#3238)
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)