Layoffs for half a million government workers in Britain? (#2840)
Romania - The Securitate at Home - Numerous old palaces and villas in Romania are falling prey to neglect. Investors are being deliberately discouraged as former officers of the Securitate secret police attempt to win control over the Romanian real estate market.
France - Crackdown on Illegal Residents in Mayotte - The Mayotte archipelago is located off the southeast coast of Africa but is a French overseas territory and will officially be part of Europe as of 2011. French President Nicolas Sarkozy has ordered new patrols to crack down on illegal immigrants in the islands.
Italy: The Towers of Bologna - In the heart of Bologna stand two medieval towers. Dante wrote about them in the Divine Comedy. Now they are threatened by traffic.
Great Britain: Neo-Thatcherism - British Prime Minister David Cameron has presented an austerity plan listing 500,000 public service jobs he'd like to cut. In addition, government ministries are being told to reduce their budgets by up to 30 percent.
Finland - A Pinch of Salt - French fries sans salt? A perfectly normal scenario in Finland. Years ago the health risks of excessive salt intake prompted the Finns to drastically reduce the amount in their diet. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218