The Van Gogh Knock-Offs (#2841)
Greece: Arms Race in the Aegean Sea Greece is groaning under the burden of radical austerity measures, designed to get the country's debts under control. But at the same time, Athens, driven by fear of its neighbor Turkey, is continuing to build Europe's largest army.
Italy: New Trash Mountains - Napels is sinking in trash again. In the past, the police have shut down a number of illegal garbage dumps run by the mafia. Now attempts to build a new dump have triggered violent protests from local residents.
The Netherlands: Which Works or Art are Genuine, Which are Fakes? -That is a question that frequently crops up with Van Gogh paintings. Vincent Van Gogh's work has probably been copied and forged more than that of any other painter of the modern era. Even the origin of some works attributed to Van Gogh hanging in museums is extremely doubtful.
Poland: Retirement at 90 - While many Germans complain because they can't retire until they're 67, the French have been out on the streets protesting against moves to raise their retirement age to 62. But Poles can only look on with a wry smile, they have to keep working till they drop.
Spain: Gardening on Urban Wasteland - Spain has witnessed a growing trend in recent years of local residents appropriating land and using it to plant fruit and vegetable gardens illegally. In Barcelona and other Spanish cities, many have joined the trend of turning wasteland into blossoming landscapes. A grass-roots movement in the truest sense. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Norway: Deadly Danger - More often than not, people associate tsunamis with Japan. But people living around Geirangerfjord in Norway are well aware of their own vulnerability to a huge tidal wave.... [26 minutes]
- Tue, September 2, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218