The Van Gogh Knock-Offs (#2841)
Greece: Arms Race in the Aegean Sea Greece is groaning under the burden of radical austerity measures, designed to get the country's debts under control. But at the same time, Athens, driven by fear of its neighbor Turkey, is continuing to build Europe's largest army.
Italy: New Trash Mountains - Napels is sinking in trash again. In the past, the police have shut down a number of illegal garbage dumps run by the mafia. Now attempts to build a new dump have triggered violent protests from local residents.
The Netherlands: Which Works or Art are Genuine, Which are Fakes? -That is a question that frequently crops up with Van Gogh paintings. Vincent Van Gogh's work has probably been copied and forged more than that of any other painter of the modern era. Even the origin of some works attributed to Van Gogh hanging in museums is extremely doubtful.
Poland: Retirement at 90 - While many Germans complain because they can't retire until they're 67, the French have been out on the streets protesting against moves to raise their retirement age to 62. But Poles can only look on with a wry smile, they have to keep working till they drop.
Spain: Gardening on Urban Wasteland - Spain has witnessed a growing trend in recent years of local residents appropriating land and using it to plant fruit and vegetable gardens illegally. In Barcelona and other Spanish cities, many have joined the trend of turning wasteland into blossoming landscapes. A grass-roots movement in the truest sense. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Austria/Germany: Tolls Create Traffic Jams - Germany's planned toll on foreign transport trucks promises to bring the country million of euros. But in Austria the move is causing anger because... [26 minutes]
- Sat, December 28, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 2:30 AM on IPTV
- Sun, December 29, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 12:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 12:00 AM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 5:00 AM on IPTV
- Tue, December 31, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 4, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 7, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 11, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 14, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 18, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 21, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 25, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 28, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)
- Europe's Largest Man-Made Nature Reserve (#3143)
- Episode #3142
- Gambling Priests Bankrupt Archdiocese (#3141)
- Unemployment: Waiting for Elders to Retire (#3140)
- Merkel's Greatest Victory (#3139)
- Discovery of a Subterranean Hideout from the Nazis (#3138)
- Gibraltar: Row Over The Rock (#3137)
- Village of thieves: evidence burning of Picasso, Monet and Matisse Artwork (#3136)
- Russia's Controversial Figurehead: From Prison To Moscow Mayor? (#3135)
- Bargain Prices for Castles In Ireland (#3134)
- Episode #3133
- Greece's million refugees are considered undesirables (#3132)
- Air Conditioning for a Glacier (#3131)