A Resthome for Italy's Elderly Master Musicians (#2850)
Denmark: Controversial Cartoons - Five years ago, the Danish daily "Jyllands-Posten" published several highly controversial cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed. Recently, a number of suspects were arrested in Denmark and Sweden on suspicion of planning to stage an attack at the newspaper's offices.
Spain: A Small Act of Resistance - Fidel Serrano has been living in a small hut on the outskirts of Madrid for the past 35 years. A large construction project is threatening to force him out of his home, but Serrano refuses to vacate.
Turkey: Large-scale Dam Projects - Turkey is planning a new environmental protection law that environmentalists say will be more destructive than protective. One of the things it could allow is the construction of more dams.
Poland: The Ice-Divers of Zakopane - As Poland's best-known winter sports destination, Zakopane draws plenty of visitors. Avalanches are common here, so the mountain search and rescue service spends a lot of time preparing for the worst.
Italy: A Rest Home for Elderly Musicians - Residents of Casa Verdi in Milan all have one thing in common: music. From opera singers to orchestra musicians - they've kept the music alive in their twilight years. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Tue, July 22, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)