Taxpayers As Informers (#2851)
Finland: Turku Turns to Culture - Turku is one of the 2011 European Capitals of Culture. The city is hoping the title will create new opportunities; shipbuilding was once Turku's main source of income -now, the industry is in decline.
Denmark: Citizens Informing on Citizens - Denmark is clamping down on welfare cheats and tax dodgers. The authorities have enlisted public support, requesting people inform on their fellow citizens.
Italy: Investigating Mysterious Deaths in Italian Football - A number of former professional football players who played in the 1970s and 80s have died, and others are fighting serious illness. Is there a curse on the Fiorentina soccer team?
Britain: Animal Rights Activists Take on Fox-Hunters - Fox-hunting was outlawed in Britain in 2004, and animal protection groups are keeping a keen eye out to ensure no one flouts the ban.
Portugal: Saving at the Cost of Health - One of the achievements of democratic Portugal is in danger. The economic and financial crisis has put public, tax-financed healthcare system in danger of collapse. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Us Installing Missiles In Romania (#3239)
- Pope Francis Kicks Mafia Out (#3238)
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)