Taxpayers As Informers (#2851)
Finland: Turku Turns to Culture - Turku is one of the 2011 European Capitals of Culture. The city is hoping the title will create new opportunities; shipbuilding was once Turku's main source of income -now, the industry is in decline.
Denmark: Citizens Informing on Citizens - Denmark is clamping down on welfare cheats and tax dodgers. The authorities have enlisted public support, requesting people inform on their fellow citizens.
Italy: Investigating Mysterious Deaths in Italian Football - A number of former professional football players who played in the 1970s and 80s have died, and others are fighting serious illness. Is there a curse on the Fiorentina soccer team?
Britain: Animal Rights Activists Take on Fox-Hunters - Fox-hunting was outlawed in Britain in 2004, and animal protection groups are keeping a keen eye out to ensure no one flouts the ban.
Portugal: Saving at the Cost of Health - One of the achievements of democratic Portugal is in danger. The economic and financial crisis has put public, tax-financed healthcare system in danger of collapse. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Moldova: Tug-of-War over Europe's Poorest Country - The political conflict over Ukraine is also threatening to spill over into Moldova. Russia and Romania are already currying favor with the... [26 minutes]
- Sat, May 31, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)
- Uprising of the Unemployed (#3208)
- Ukraine: Protestors' Right to Rise Up (#3207)
- Russia: Scorched Earth (#3206)
- Ukraine: Rich Remain Ruling Party (#3205)
- Episode #3204
- Belgium: Assisted Suicide for Minors? (#3203)
- Episode #3202
- Special: 10th Anniversary of Eastern EU Enlargement (#3201)
- Belgium: Manager with a Big Heart (#3152)
- Decommissioning Atomic Subs In Russia (#3151)
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)