Russia's Dangerous Railway (#2902)
Sweden: Protection from Sexual Violence - WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange fights extradition to Sweden from Britain. But he is not wanted for revealing state secrets - he has been accused of sexual assault.
France: The Champagne War - For the first time since 1927, the wine-growing boundaries in the French province of Champagne are being re-drawn. There's serious money at stake and a heated dispute has broken out among winegrowers.
Croatia: In the Grips of Corruption - Former Croatian prime minister Ivo Sanader was arrested in Austria in December 2010, as part of a probe into his country's biggest-ever corruption scandal.
Poland: Flood Victims Struggle Through Winter - Last spring's flooding along Poland's Vistula River claimed lives and ruined many people's homes. Many of the victims feel they have been forgotten.
Russia: Death Train - For the past year, Moscow and St. Petersburg have been connected by a high-speed railway service. But tracks and level crossings were not modernized, and there have been several fatal accidents as a result. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Us Installing Missiles In Romania (#3239)
- Pope Francis Kicks Mafia Out (#3238)
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)