Russia's Dangerous Railway (#2902)
Sweden: Protection from Sexual Violence - WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange fights extradition to Sweden from Britain. But he is not wanted for revealing state secrets - he has been accused of sexual assault.
France: The Champagne War - For the first time since 1927, the wine-growing boundaries in the French province of Champagne are being re-drawn. There's serious money at stake and a heated dispute has broken out among winegrowers.
Croatia: In the Grips of Corruption - Former Croatian prime minister Ivo Sanader was arrested in Austria in December 2010, as part of a probe into his country's biggest-ever corruption scandal.
Poland: Flood Victims Struggle Through Winter - Last spring's flooding along Poland's Vistula River claimed lives and ruined many people's homes. Many of the victims feel they have been forgotten.
Russia: Death Train - For the past year, Moscow and St. Petersburg have been connected by a high-speed railway service. But tracks and level crossings were not modernized, and there have been several fatal accidents as a result. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)